The Brotherbands

The Brotherbands

The day before the Brotherband ceremony, we went down to where Hal kept his boat, the Heron, sheltered. It was smaller than a normal wolfship, but it was faster than them. It could also sail into the wind because of its triangle shaped sail. It was an amazing boat, really, and today well were going to sail in it. I was the only one Hal told ahead of time that he was planning on docking it right next to my father's ship, Wolfwind, in the harbor, where everyone could see it.

"Showing off a bit, are we?" I laughed.

"A bit? If I miscalculate this, most of us won't have heads! You and Missy are safe because you are his daughters." Hal replied.

"He won't kill you as long as you don't damage Wolfwind too much."

Now we were getting ready to set sail. Missy and I were excited because this is the first ship we've been on, except for our dad's of course, but still.

There is one other thing. Missy and I were closer to certain friends than others. Missy was closer to Stig than she was any of the others. They just connected some how. They had so much in common, but at the same time, so different.

I was closer to Jesper. I got along with him better than I did anyone else, even though he's a thief. I guess that's why we get along so well. We both are so quiet, people forget about us.

When we finally were in the water, everyone had a job. Missy was helping with the sails, and I was helping with calculations on turns and technical stuff like that.

We were getting closer to the bay, and I could tell that we had been sighted, for there was a crowd gathering. I saw Katrina, the other boys, all the girls as well... And dad... With his axe. Damn, they might lose there heads after all.

"Hal, look." I breathed, nudging him and pointing to where my dad was standing.

"I can't mess this up, I can't mess this up, I can't mess this up, I can't mess this up..." he muttered over and over, so I knew he saw the axe too.

"You won't, don't worry Hal."

When we got into the bay was when everyone was panicking.

"HEY, PANICKING WILL GET US NOWHERE! KEEP IN MIND, WE ARE TRYING TO PROVE TO MY FATHER THAT THE TEN OF US MAKE A GOOD CREW!! CALM YOURSELVES!" Missy yelled, making even Stig jump five feet.

We got the boat docked, and dad didn't know we were with Hal and them, so we didn't say anything.

"She'll sail rings around a wolfship!" I heard Stig say. Missy face palmed. This was going to go badly.

"Really? Will she sail rings around my wolfship?" Dad asked him.

"Um... No, of course not!"

"I thought not."

Dad just walked away, and slowly, the crowd disappeared. Halwas pulled away by the girl he had a crush on, Missy, Jesper,  and I were talking to Stig.

"Of course she'll sail rings around Wolfwind." Stig muttered.

"Why didn't you tell him that?" Missy asked teasingly.

"I like my head where it is, thanks." Stig replied.

We all just laughed. After a while, Missy and I headed home.

We got about half way there before Tursgud and his right hand man, Knut, caught up to us.

"What are you ladies doing walking around town by your pretty little selves?" Tursgud asked.

"Going home." Missy replied none too kindly. Normally she leaves talking to me, but she knew I wouldn't talk. I would kill him. Most of the town, meaning everyone but my dad, knew that Tursgud had a crush on me. It made me sick to even think about it.

Tursgud is the biggest jerk in the world. Knut, however, liked Missy. Knut wasn't a bad guy when Tursgud's not around, but thay rarely happens.

Tursgud put an arm around me, and it took all the strength, self control,  and will power in me, not to kill him right then and there.

Knut did the same to Missy, who didn't have it as bad as me. Imean, Tursgud of all people! Why me? I would rather it be Rollond . Not thay I'll ever say that out loud, for fear Rollond will get ideas.

We got almost home, and he tried to KISS  me. I panicked,  so punched him about five to ten times. My dad happened to see this.

"What was that for?" Tursgud asked in shock.

"YOU TOUCHED ME, AND THEN TRIED TO KISS ME!!! WHAT THE F*** DO YOU THINK THAT WAS FOR?" I yelled, running to my room. I was keeping myself from throwing up. The whole of Halasholm had seen what happened. Jesper and Ulf looked ready to kill. Stig was being held back by Ingvar. Wulf didn't know what to think.

The next day, we went with dad to the brotherband ceremony.

"This will be like any other ceremony, except for one detail." dad announced.

"And what would that be, sir?" Tursgud asked. His face was swollen badly, his nose was broken,  and he had a few cuts on his face.

"Shut it you! This year, my daughters will be joining the brotherband of their choice, which they have already picked. The first brotherband is made up of the  following: Hal, Stig, Ingvar, Ulf, Wulf, Stefan, Edvin, Jesper, Missy, and Cora. You may go elsewhere nearby to discuss who you will make skirl."

"But that's not fair! They have to be subject to rules and traditions too!" Tursgud whined.

"Being daughter of the Oberjarl has its perks." Missy said as she walked past him.

"Not being a selfish jerk also helps!" I exclaimed,  kicking him right where it hurts most. He was backing away, so it knocked him farther than normal.

When I walked away, leading our group away so we could talk, Jesper jogged up beside me and quietly said, "Nice one."

"Thanks," I replied softly.

When we were all in a group I asked, "Now who is going to be Skirl?"

"I elect Hal." said Stig.

"I second that." added Ulf.

"I elect Cora." said Missy.

"I second that." added Jesper.

"Ok, everyone, when I say the name of the person you will vote for, raise your hand." said Stig. Hal, being one of the candidates,  will not vote and I know it. I will vote, just not for myself. I'm not self centered.

"All in favor for Cora?"

Jesper, Missy, Wulf, and Ingvar raised their hands.

"Ok, all in favor for Hal?"

Ulf, Stig, Stefan, Edvin, and I raised our hands.

"Ok, how about this, Cora and I share the responsibility of skirl. I'm better when we're at sea, and she's better in battle. When it comes to other stuff, listen to us both. It'll make us stronger." Hal suggested.

Everyone else agreed,  so how could I refuse.

The next day was when training would start. For today all we had to do was build our shelter. While giving out orders, Hal and I were finishing each other's sentences,  the exact way they were supposed to end. It was actually quite creepy, but we got almost completely done.