chapter twelve

big girls don't cry by Fergie

nash

i looked at the paper that she had scribbled her address into before she left, flagging down a taxi and reading off the address to the driver.

it took only 20 minutes before it stopped in front of a fairly large house. i wasn't all that sure if this was a great idea anymore, but once the taxi drove off i knew it was now or never. i walked to the front door and rang the doorbell, stepping back and putting my hands behind my back, waiting.

i heard the sound of the door unlocking and then it swung open, arianna looking up.

"nash?" she looked down, avoiding eye contact now that she knew it was me.

"hey.." i replied, the tension in the air rising.

"why are you ... uh, here?" she asked, taking another glance at me.

"i messed up, and i knew trying over text would be stupid and that maybe if i came here you'd understand how much i-"

"you hurt me." she cut me off coldly.

"i know, and if you could forgive me i'd love that because i need you in my life." i tried to explain to her, but she shook her head as i spoke, looking down still. when she looked up, i realized she was crying. oh no.

"i don't know if i can believe you, nash." she replied shakily.

"ari..." i stepped forward, reaching my arms out for her but she stepped back, turning to the side and crossing her arms.

"don't touch me."

i stepped back, my heart breaking with the words. she wanted nothing to do with me.

"what were you doing with taylor yesterday? did you let him touch you?" i snapped, and for the first time since i got here, she made eye contact.

"i don't owe you a fucking explanation, nash! you sure as hell didn't give me an explanation when i deserved one!" she stepped forward and swung at me, but i caught her wrist as she did, pulling it away from my face.

"hitting me won't solve anything." i said, trying to control myself from yelling at her. i did deserve an explanation, and i'd get one eventually. her hair had moved back over her shoulder and i noticed a faint mark on her neck. a mark that i couldn't have put there.

"what's going on?" taylor appeared in the doorway, and i let go of arianna and walked to taylor.

"why are you here?" i asked, and he shrugged.

"i wanted to make her feel better, some asshole broke her heart. i could ask you the same thing," he replied. without thinking, i swung at him, my fist connecting with his face.

"NASH STOP!" ari yelled as i pushed taylor down, continuously throwing punches into his face.

"stop!" she begged again, kneeling beside me and grabbing my arms. i finally stopped, realizing what i had done. i hurt taylor.

taylor got up and wiped the blood from his nose and lip, going up the stairs where he probably knew there was a bathroom. i stared at my fists that had blood on them now, my hands shaking as i leaned against the wall near the front door.

"nash.." she whispered, still holding onto my arms. i ignored it until i realized she was tracing the cuts on my forearm with her fingers.

"it's nothing, i'm leaving. hope he was worth it." i tried to stand but she didn't let me.

"don't tell me you did that because of me." she said, our eyes making contact again.

"wish i could, but i can't,!now excuse me, i need to leave." i said, and this time she let go