CHAPTER TWENTY-EIGHT

A CINDERELLA FOR THE SHEIKH

Chapter Twenty-Eight

"And what may I ask, is that?" James was bullying the kitchen staff.

As simple as that.

But if James was doing something, then he had a reason to it. I believed.

"What have all of you been up to?" I asked the three guys who kept yawning repeatedly. James was the only one standing. The rest were resting their heads on the kitchen table.

"Other than patrolling the corridors all night, nothing!"

I looked at the guys shocked. Kade must have told them about Sophia's life being in danger.

"No, that's not fair to any of you. The manor is well guided enough. I don't want you guys burdened."

"We are here for the favour you asked for Ashàr and we are going to the best of our abilities,"Dawud remarked.

"We learnt our lesson, though.  Tonight,  we are taking turns to patrol instead of doing it all together." Abdullah retorted. I smiled at the boys, grateful.

"No, I want you to taste it." James' voice was commanding. It clearly conveyed that he was not to be messed with.

Mom, dad, Sophia,Julia and Kade had made way to the kitchen.

Mom looked at James,then at the woman Perry,who I noted was a new staff member.

Mom never spoke to any of her staff strictly but it seemed she trusted James with what he was doing. She didn't intrude. Nor, did she defend.

The woman Perry was trembling.

"I.... it's for the master's sir,how can I taste it?  The woman whimpered.

"The masters won't mind." James gave the woman a cold look.

The woman started to taste all the bowls of porridge one by one. Finally, she said," There,sir."

"You didn't taste the last one," James informed her. The woman's eyes kept darting towards the exit staff door.

"Drink it!" James commanded. James looked around at Abdullah, Dawud and signalled them something I didn't understand. The both of them nodded before strolling towards the exit door and standing there with a smug look.

There was a clatter as Perry took off towards the door. She was shocked to see it guarded.
She next opened the door to the main house when Kate caught her arm and twisted it behind her. The woman let out a wrangled cry.

"Who sent you?" Kade questioned. The other three guys had made way towards her.

"Whom were you going to poison?" James questioned and there was a short collective gasp across the room.

I made way towards Sophia and stood next to her.

"I don't know!" The woman shouted.

"Tell the truth!" James commanded and the woman started to cry. Dad had called the security to take her away for questioning.

" I don't know, I never saw him!" The woman finally retorted.

"He promised to get my son out of jail if I got rid of that woman." She pointed at Sophia who let out a strangled cry. I wrapped my arm around her to support her and she hid her face on my shoulder."

"It must have been Houssam," I exclaimed and the rest of the boys nodded.

"Who else is working with you?" Abdullah questioned.