CHAPTER 2

Entering my office I heard my phone ringing without looking at the caller id I already know who it was because I set a different ringtone for him, Lance.

I debated with myself if I will answer it or not. I just let it ring and go straight to voice mail.

I make myself busy with the task at hand and start with the first draft of the design my client requested.

Lunch time comes and I got out of the firm to eat at a restaurant beside it. I ordered clubhouse sandwich and iced tea. Walking to the corner table beside the window I settle and eat my lunch staring at the busy streets of New York.

As I finish my lunch and ready to get back to work my phone rings again for the sixth time. I decided to answer it this time to get rid of Lance.

"What?!" I burst out.

"What did you do to my car?!" He screams on the other line.

"Lance it's good to hear from you." Pretending to sweet talk.

"You're lucky I didn't smash your windshield with a baseball bat!" I spat.

"Look Abbie I'm sorry. I was drunk and you know it, I didn't know what I’m doing. Martha came up to me and ask me to help her find her contacts, she said it fell on the sink so I helped her. Then she kissed me I got carried away and that's where you found us. I don't mean to cheat on you I swear!" He explains but I'm not having any of his lies.

"Lance you can't manipulate me anymore, I've had enough of your lies." I exhale feeling resigned.

"Abbie we can still fix this, look I will change for you. Whatever you want me to do I will do it just please give me another chance." Lance pleaded.

"Lance I don't want anything to do with you, were done." I ended the call and headed to my office.

I've been staring blankly at my computer for thirty minutes and no progress done. My relationship with Lance keeps replaying in my mind.

At first it was good we enjoy each other's company, I felt that he really loves me and I feel the same way but somehow as it progress things change.

In the last three months I've been hearing things about him seen with someone else but being the trusting me I ignore all of it. There come this instant that I confronted him but he said it's not true so I believed him.

He showered me with flowers and gifts to make up for the time that his away. He even surprised me with a weekend getaway but somehow I still feel that there’s something wrong.

I don't know why he still want to keep our relationship. I can't continue without trust. Maybe I'm better off without someone.

"I can do better alone." I thought to myself.

The week drag slowly, Lance still attempt to contact me but I decline all his calls. It's better to ignore him than give him false hope.

It was Friday and Lisa called me at lunch time and invites me to have dinner and some drinks. I agreed, I don't have anything to do in my apartment so a girl bonding sounds good to me.

Parking my car outside the restobar Lisa pick for us to meet, I turn off the engine and take a deep breath before exiting.

It was a cozy place with cream walls, tan sofas paired up with mahogany wood tables. There is a bar at the left side where you can drink while listening to jazz music. The atmosphere was relaxing.

I saw Lisa seated in a table near the bar, very typical of her. She saw me and wave eagerly.

"Well hello there gorgeous!" She greeted me with a hug.

"It's nice to see you beautiful." I say smiling and returning her hug.

"How was your week? Did Lance contact you?" She utter without holding back.

"Yeah he called me last Monday and I broke up with him, after that he's been calling me almost every day but I’m done with him." I answer dejectedly.

"But you're ok now, are you?" She asked concern written on her face.

"I sort of have mix emotions right now, I feel hurt because I've been a fool believing everything’s all right when all the indications that his cheating on me was layed in front of me and at the same time I feel relief that this charade is all over now." I confess to my bff.

Giving me a sincere smile she reaches for my hand and squeezes it.

"You know I'm always here for you, I'm glad you're now Lance free. Just forget about him and lets enjoy this night." She said trying to cheer me up.

The waitress approach us to get our orders. I got Caesar salad, lasagna and a glass of wine, Lisa ordered crab mango salad, fettuccini alfredo and four season. We ate and have our usual chat.

"By the way how was Randy? I never heard of him in a while." Randy was Lisa's boyfriend for 6 years they have been living together for a year now.

"Oh, his busy working on this new case of fraud in Monte Carlo Shipping, it's all over the news. This past week his been coming late so I haven't got a proper conversation with him but were good" She fill me in.

"I've heard about that on the news, that would be nasty." I commented.

Randy was a corporate lawyer while Lisa is an interior designer. Lisa and I were bff's since high school. They met when we were in university and hit it off right away. At least one of us has a successful love life.

Finishing our dinner we move to the bar to have our drinks.

"What drink do you want ma'am?" The bartender asks.

"I'm having margarita and my friend here sex on the beach" I replayed.

After my 3rd glass I finally feel the effect of alcohol in my system. I'm getting carefree and flirted with the bartender while ordering my 4th glass. He's kind of cute actually, with his Latino looks. He said his name is Antonio.

I check the time and it's now ten thirty in the evening, why time flies so fast when you’re having a good time.

Grabbing my order, my hand brush with the guy seated on my right while his getting his beer. The contact makes me flinch a little. I try to look at his face to see him looking at me too. I smiled at him but didn't give further interest but I find his eyes fascinating it's ocean blue colour with grey specks.

It's getting late so we decided to call it a night and said our goodbyes promising each other to stay in touch. I hail a cab because I'm not in the right state to drive. I'll just get my car tomorrow coz I'm doing some grocery shopping I need some girl stuff you know.

-*-*-*-*-*-*-

Song for this CHAPTER

Say something by A Great Big World