Chapter 23

Hello! This is super duper long! Enjoy it! And you're probably going to hate me for the ending! :)

I checked yesterday and saw that Must Be Canine has over 6,500 reads which is incredible. Thanks so much for reading it!

And remember to vote, comment, and/or fan! It's a way of showing your support for me!

----------------------

(Beau's POV)

I lead the way has Tyler, Jake, and I lope through the narrow path. So far, we hadn't found anything suspicious lurking around. Of course, a few times, we spotted humans hiking through some of the many trials that run through the forests in Central Florida. We carefully waited until they were past us before continuing.

Can we take a water break? Tyler groans from the back of our line. He may be a great fighter, but he has horrible stamina when it comes to running long distances. And we've being running for several hours now with the sun's hot rays beating down on our coats.

Yeah. Next fresh water spot we come across. I mindlink both of them. I slow to a stop, listening and scenting the area around us. Luckily, there's a small, tricking stream just ahead of us. Come on, just a bit further.

They both nod their wolf heads, and we continuing loping and weaving through the underbrush until we reach the cool freshness. Tyler shoves his light grey form past me in an attempt to get to the water first. I growl and grab his tail to stop him. He looks over his shoulder, annoyed before sending me a wolfish grin. I roll my eyes, but let him go. He collapses into the shallow water, lapping up the water.

The cool water is refreshing as it hydrates my parched mouth and tongue. It trickles down my throat and down into my body, cooling off my overheated insides.

Don't play in the water that we drink, Ty. You're dirty and smell. Jake grumbles and takes to drinking upstream.

You obviously haven't smelt yourself then! Ty shoots back, egging Jake on for a game of wrestling. Jake just flashes his fangs before going back to drinking. Aww, scared I'll beat you. He taunts, standing up out of the water and shaking his coat.

No, 'cause I always beat you. He defends

Then prove it. Ty challenges before lunging onto his back.

I stand off to the side as the two battle it out. Jake tosses Tyler off of his back with a slight buck. Tyler rolls, but is right back of his feet and charging for the throat. Jake hops to the side and grabs Tyler's shoulder, pulling upward. Ty losses his balance and falls to the ground. Jake tries to pin him, but moves to slow, allowing for Ty to grab his left front leg and pull it out from under him.

The wrestling continues as I wander away, sniffing the air. Fresh water, the earthy scent of the damp ground, fresh pine trees, and newly bloomed flowers all invade my nostrils. And twisted amongst all those smells is a very familiar tropical smell.

Emery's smell.

Suddenly, I hear the rustling in the distance. The pounding of four paws coming towards us.

Guys. I try to pull their attention from the fight, but they're both still struggling to get the upper hand. Guys! I say a little louder. Nothing. ENOUGH! I boom through the link. They jump apart, suddenly alert. Both they're ears flicker, catching the sound of the form that was quickly approaching. It would be here any moment.

The three of us turn in the direction of the sound, our paws equally spread out with lowered heads and low growls emitting from our throats. A bush to the right rattles, then suddenly the form is lunging towards us.