Chapter 13

Chapter 13:

(Emery's POV)

I can't believe he's here. I was really hoping that he'd just forget about me and stop trying to involve me in his life. But now he's here. And he brought his.....friends, I think. I recognize the two guys, but there's a girl in the back seat with....what's his name? Jack? No. Jake! Yes! Like the commercial!  For State Farm.

The new girl is sitting extremely close to Jake. Maybe they're boyfriend-girlfriend. Her skin is tanned, like everyone in Florida. Her straight blonde hair is pulled in a high ponytail with a few strands falling out. She probably has blue eyes.

I turn off the car, silencing the loud rumble and step out of the car. Beau climbs out, his large form somehow manages to fit behind the steering wheel. I meet his bright grey eyes, but immediately look away. I hate making eye contact. "Hey." He says, grinning.

"Uh....hi, what are you doing here?" I reply impatiently. I've got animals to take care of and really don't have time for this.

"Well, I didn't get your number after our date, so I couldn't contact you. But I was wondering if you wanted to hang out with m-us. With us." He rubs the back of his neck nervously. 

I internally groan. This guy won't give up, will he? "Look, I really can't today. I already have stuff to do." I reply honestly.

"Okay, then what about tomorrow?" NO! Stop trying to get my to go on dates with you!

"Sorry, work." I shrug nonchalantly.

"Next weekend?"

"I'm sure I already have some kind of plans on my day off."

"You really don't want to go on another date with me, do you?" He crosses his arms and cocks his head to the side, watching me curiously. It's kinda cute. It reminds me of my dogs, when I talk to them and they're trying to understand.

"Like I said before the first date, it was a one-time thing. You suggested me going on the date for you helping me out. I was tired and wanted to go inside, so I agreed."

"Then don't think of it as a date, think of it as a new friendship." He suggests, silently pleading with his eyes for me to agree.

Friendship? The only "friends" I have down here are coworkers, but I don't go out anywhere with them. We just talk about what everyone else does. Sure I have several friends up in Maryland, two best friends, but even then I wasn't as close to them as some people. I was always too busy to have friends. I was always working hard at the rescue, or working at my job, which was at a department store. Then I had college level classes that had lots of homework. Then I had my dogs who I trained rigorously. I never had time for friends.

Plus, I'm so quiet. Anytime someone would try to engage my in a conversation, I'd have one word responses or I didn't know how to contribute to the conversation because I never did anything spontaneous. Or went out to do normal teen things. I was so nervous about people judging, that I was afraid they'd have something negative to say about my thoughts. Another reason why I tried not to make friends.

But I do wish I could just lounge at a friend's house and watch movies and eat junk food. Or even take a walk through the mall for the day. Sabrina, Demona and I have hung out at Sabrina's house a few times, but not as often as we both wished. And it was usually because I was busy with the rescue, or I had dog training classes.

Now, even though I do have the two jobs and my dogs, I still have some free time. I don't have to deal with the rescue at ever waking hour now. Now I'm an independent person.