What a freak

"So he likes Chance?" Jenn shot me a look through her sunglasses.

I shook my head in a disapproving gesture. "It's not just 'like'." I stated, turning my head to my best friend. "He has a candid shot of her drinking lemonade on his phone."

"Oooh." She sighed, placing her feet on the dashboard.

"What should we do?" I contemplated. We could speed up Dylan's asking-Chance-out method.

"Nothing." Jenn narrowed her eyes. "Ave, don't mess with people's personal lives."

"Personal lives, shmershonal lives. It's not like anything bad can happen." I waved her warning off.

"Seriously Ave." She snorted. "Dylan won't think it's funny when you ruin his possible relationship."

"I won't ruin it!" I stated, offended.

"Sure. So are you planning on going to the dance?" Jenn changed the subject.

A weird noise came out of my throat that I didn't even mean to do. "Yeah. I'm going to bring my boyfriend and we're going to dance together in the midst of all of these easily offended country folks. I don't think people would take kindly to two guys dancing."

"Oh please," Jenn laughed. "You don't have a boyfriend."

I glared at her, mainly because she was right. "That's not the point."

"Then what is the point?"

"The point is," I sighed, "that I can't take a date to our dance."

"Sure you can." She dismissed me. "All the people here are so weird, they wouldn't even notice if you were dancing with a boy or a girl."

"Whatever." I huff and pull into Jenn's driveway. "Here we are." I swing my arm out in the direction of her glorious house.

Jenn's house is so much bigger than mine is. Probably because she has moderately wealthy parents and five other siblings. I still don't know the names of some of her older brothers, but the ones who stayed at home, I know pretty well.

"I'll see you tomorrow!" She waves as she hops out of my ugly car and skips up her walkway.

"Bye." I say without a cause and push the car into reverse, smoothly maneuvering my way out of this road. It was like everyone forgot that they have a driveway and decided to park on the street. Thanks a lot assholes.

I crank up the radio to prevent me from listening to my own thoughts. It's pathetic. The only things that I am thinking about are food, boys, and how tight these skinny jeans are. It was annoying just hearing myself think.

The ride back home is a long one. So long, that I am debating on making Jenn walk herself home from now on, but that would be mean. So I will allow her to sit in my car.

"I'm home!" I cheer, and throw my hands in the air after opening the front door and slamming it behind me.

It was oddly quiet after that. Usually everyone tells me to shut up and make them food, but today there was silence.

"Hello?" I cup a hand over my ear and wait for any small noise. Like the page of a book being turned, or a chair being swiveled.

"I guess nobody's here." I conclude and drop my bag to the floor. My keys land with a pink in the little glass bowl on our front walk.

...

Without saying a word I pick my keys back up from the bowl and turn straight around to go outside and head for Laura's school.

"I cannot believe I forgot my own sister."

Yeah, she was going to be upset that I left and completely forgot about her. Well it's a good thing I remembered now I guess.