Chapter 40 - Missing person

Hermione paced the girls domitory. What happened to Malfoy? Did he convince the deatheaters he was one of them to let Harry and Ron escape. Did he escape?

Ever since their short interactions in the library began, Hermione knew Malfoy had changed. She found it difficult to believe he would still be associated with any of the death eaters. Her faith was put to test that morning when she, Harry and Ron, entered the great hall for breakfast and found Malfoy sitting at the Slytherin table looking perfectly normal.

He didn't look up from his breakfast and was in dee conversation with Pansy who was talking rapidly in excitement.

"Malfoy is back too?" Ron asked looking confused. "I thought you said he was in trouble."

"Maybe he talked his way out." Hermione said, her eyes fixed on Malfoy as they took their place at the Gryffindor table.

"Slimy git." Ron muttered as an owl dropped a letter in front of Ron.

"Your secret admirer?" Harry asked. "I wondered why we didn't hear from her in a while."

Ron ripped open the envelope and began to read the letter out to Harry and Hermione. Hermione snapped her attention away from Malfoy and directed it to Ron.

Dear Ron,

I'm so glad to hear you are ok. I'm sorry I haven't sent you an owl since our last exchange. I was afraid you weren't too happy when I revealed my identity. I understand.

I just wanted to check in and make sure you are ok. If there is anything I can do for you, just send me an owl.
Hope to hear from you again,

Love,
Lisa Conner

P.S: You looked great in the Chudly Cannon uniform on Halloween.

Ron finished reading it and looked up at Harry and Hermione in amazement. Hermione grabbed the letter from his hand and read the letter again.

"She can't have known." Hermione gasped. "Even if someone in Hogwarts told her, she can't have known what you look like."

"So she has to be a student" Harry said scanning the great hall, but there was no point. He didn't even know what to look for.

After breakfast they made their way to Defence against the dark arts class which was now taught by Professor Jeffery Bishop.

Bishop was a quiet and kindly professor who reminded Harry a lot of Lupin. He was better dressed than Lupin but his matter of teaching was the same. Professor Bishop was also substituting Professor Slughorn in portions class which was a nice change for Harry who didn't have to worry about Slughorn dropping another dinner invite.

"I'm so glad to see you three ok." Bishop said, smiling kindly, the moment Harry, Ron and Hermione entered the classroom.

"But you already have so much experience fighting dark arts, I suppose this class would be very futile." Bishop added with a laugh. Harry gave him a polite smile before they took a seat at the back.

"I think I better write back to this 'Lisa Conner'" Ron said suddenly. His ears were a bit pink as he said his and he avoided Hermione's eye.

"Bad idea." Hermione said coldly, not looking at him but clearly sensing the source of his curiosity.

"What do you think, Harry?" Ron said turning to Harry desperate for some support.