Chapter 43 - Hidden In Plain Site

"He discovered you were spying on him!" Harry gasped at Neville who was recalling the events that happened since they left the Quidditch grounds.

"That was so dangerous! Why did the two of you go alone?" Ron said angrily trying to sit up but Harry put a hand on his shoulder to calm him down.

"Increase in numbers would only draw more attention to us. Besides I believe we would have gotten away with it if it hadn't been for the intense rains." Neville said defensively.

"What did he do when he discovered you were following him?" Harry asked Neville

"I think he wanted to attack but thought better of it, he did a spell which flattened us both on the ground and said 'you will pay for this!' before vanishing again."  He said rubbing his arm where Harry noticed he had a few cuts too. "Next thing we know, you were unconscious in the middle of the match."

"That's why Hermione blames herself? She thinks he did something to me the moment he returned to the Game." Ron said his eyes wide.

"You should have seen the look on his face." Neville said eyes wide. "I have never seen him so angry."

"And there was no sign of Malfoy after that?" Harry asked, Neville shook his head.

"We need to tell McGonagal. The Ministry needs to question him before he disappears." Ron said immediately. "Obviously there is something in the forest he is hiding from us. We need to find out what it is."

"I'll rally up the DA." Neville said immediately. "Once the rains stop, we will form a search party and find out what he is hiding."

Neville left immediately to gather the students just as Madam Pomfrey came in with a jug in her hands. "Time for your medication, Mr. Weasley." She said pouring out the water like liquid for Ron to drink. "Mr Weasley needs rest, Mr. Potter. You can come visit again in the morning." She then went to the other Gryffindor player and gently prodded him awake and poured out some medicine for him as well.

Harry got to his feet obediently. "I will go to McGonagal in the morning. They are up to something and we need to put a stop to it now!

*******

"Potter, I have already told you." McGonagal said with a frown. "After you returned the ministry added an extra layer of protection to the castle. Not even Salem magic can penantrare our border."

They were in the headmaster's office, a day after the bizarre rains that stopped the Quidditch match. More students had reportedly fallen sick and ended up at the hospital wing later the same day, each having a different symptom.

Madam Pomfrey had stopped allowing visitors because they were disturbing her patients who were now filling the hospital wing. Classes went on as usual and by the end of the day students began to pile up outside the hospital wing to see their friends.

"This is ridiculous- ouch!-" Harry said impatiently to Hermione as another student stepped on his foot as they tried to push their way to the front. "I think I'll go see McGonagal now, let me know when they let us in."

Harry limped back to the staircase when he heard Madam Pomfrey behind him say "Unless you are ill or injured, I really insist you all return to your houses. My patients need rest." He glanced back to see Hermione lean against the wall rubbing her foot at the same place he was hurt as the students dispersed.

"....and We heard them talk to each other, use names! I know who they are." Harry said, growing irritated with McGonagal after spending the last half an hour trying to explain what happened in the forest between Neville, Hermione and Terrence.

"Just because you think they weren't in their dormitories that night-" McGonagal began but Harry interrupted.

"Hawkes, Ridgwell, Parkinson, Nox....and I know Terrence is involved in this somehow. " Harry said again, even though McGonagal knew about it. Then he remembered Malfoy and how strange his behaviour had been since they returned from London. Hermione was convinced that he was pretending to be one of them to help them escape. The fact that he was following Terrence instead of working with him supported that theory too.

"The students you mentioned were at Hogwarts during the time of your capture, Potter. There must be some mistake." McGonagal said frowning at him and sitting behind her desk with a sigh. It had been a long day, dealing with all the injuries from the match and the balance in which Gryffindor and Ravenclaw stood at with the score. "And as for the incident in the forest, I will talk to Mr Conner about it."

"Talk to him?" Harry spluttered now getting really annoyed with McGonagal and turned his attention to Dumbledor's portrait which was empty, infact several headmasters had left their frame empty.

"They are helping protect the school." McGonagal said when she noticed where Harry was looking. "I told you I have the whole castle under guard. Even Salem magic cannot go unnoticed.

Harry pursed his lips. This would definitely explain the lack of any incidents since he found out that the death eaters were back. He still felt uneasy knowing that death eaters could walk free within Hogwarts.

"It's getting late, I believe Madam Pomfrey is sending back some of the students to their dormitories tonight. I'm sure Mr Weasley would be waiting to see you." McGonagal said. Even though her voice was stern, Harry could see the look of kindness in her eyes as she spoke of Ron. Without arguing Harry turned to leave, stopping at the door, realising something.

"Professor, you said that the students were at Hogwarts at the time of the attack?" Harry asked turning back to McGonagal.

"Yes, I had spoken to Miss Parkinson and Nox Felgate just moments before we heard shouts outside the Great Hall." McGonagal said "then Mr Malfoy came in and managed to pull Miss Granger away before they could take her."

"I may not know who was under those death eater robes, Mr Potter, but I certainly know who wasn't." She continued adjusting her spectacles.

"But I heard-"

"That's enough, Mr Potter." McGonagal snapped "as headmistress, I will conduct my own investigation. Meanwhile stay in the Gryffindor tower at all times except during classes."

"Terrence isn't who you think he is." Harry said quickly before McGonagal could usher him out. "He isn't even 12 years old." At his she froze. "How do you know?" She asked.

Harry stared in shock. "You knew?"

"Yes, only the staff knows of this, Mr Conner has had a difficult past and had requested we keep his age a secret so that he can focus on his studies rather than relive his past every time somebody asks him why he is still in school."

"Difficult past?" Harry enquired raising his eyebrow.

"He lost his family." McGonagal said shortly and when Harry still stared for an answer she said "That is not for me to talk about Potter. I'm sure you appreciate how he feels about attention. Wouldn't you have done the same?"

Harry did reply. How was he to convince McGonagal that Terrence was a fraud who is up to something dark when she seemed so convinced that he was an innocent kid who lost his family.

*******

Hey guys! How did you like this chapter?

Inspite of everything Harry Ron and Hermione have been through, Terrence seems to have McGonagal wrapped around his little finger. He and all the other death eaters can walk around Hogwarts.

Hopefully the  DA might be able to collect some evidence before somebody else gets hurt!

Don't forget to vote if you liked this chapter😘
Caio!
<3<3