Chapter 35 - Turn Of Events

"I'll do it." Otoya was the first to break the silence which made both girls snap their head in his direction. "After all, I wanna sing Nanami's song!"

"Itoki-kun..." Haruka said with her eyes slightly glazed over. 

Y/N couldn't hold back the smirk that started to bloom, but it was a caring smirk, a smirk that seemed to give off an illusion that she knew something more.

"I..." and she was the first to turn her attention to Syo as he started to talk, "When I saw your letter, I felt like the king of the world because I thought you chose me...but it wasn't just me."

Y/N's eyes widened as guilt almost instantly started to eat at her, "Syo..." 

Her voice sounded so gentle, as if she didn't trust it which made Syo smile nostalgically, remembering the talk they had when he told her that he put her name down as his desired partner. "But it's okay. If I can sing your song, I'll go along with it."

The smile he have her, made her eyes glaze over slightly as she smiled just as brightly back at him.

"To be honest, I was surprised." Natsuki joining in, made everyone turn their attention to him. "I never imagined a group number..."

"Out with it! You gonna do this or not?"

Natsuki looked to be deep in thought as he answered, "Please let me think about it."

"I agree." his reluctance made Masato step in, letting his thoughts be known. "I can't give an answer right away."

Their words made Haruka speechless as her mouth opened but nothing came out. This made Y/N take a step closer to her and put an arm on her shoulder for support.

"What are you talking about?!" this time it was Otoya who stepped in, walking over to Masato, who sat down on a small sofa to the side. "Nanami wrote a song for us to sing together, and Y/N landed a helping hand!"

"I decline." those words made Haruka quickly turn around to the owner who said them, leaving Y/N to stand there, her eyes wide at the turn o events.

"I've never heard of a graduation audition like this." Tokiya continued but Haruka stepped in.

"But-"

"Tell me, how it is that you could come up with a plan like this?" the accusing tone he used made Y/N narrow her eyes as she stepped forward.

"The same way the headmaster decided to change the final audition for me." she countered which made Tokiya's eyes move to her.

"Everyone here wanted to be the lone person chosen," Y/N's eyes roamed over the remaining boys in the room as he continued, "And that's because each of us thinks we can sing your songs best." 

"But I'm sure that is you sing together, it'll-"

"Should I lie to my own feelings?" with his question, he cut Haruka off, but that same question made both girl's eyes widen. "I can't...lie to myself."

"I agree with Ichi." that voice made Y/N quickly turn around, her eyes landing on the ginger male that usually always had a smirk on his face. "I hate turning down a request from you, my lady, but when it comes to choosing, I want to be chosen alone."

"Ren, please-"

Before Y/N could say anything else, the door bursts open and Shining Saotome, the headmaster of Saotome Academy, appears, laughing like the mad man everyone thinks he is.

"Headmaster?!"

"Eavesdropping again?"

"I'm sorry." Ringo Tsukimiya appeared behind the headmaster, smiling apologetically. "I was so worried about Y/N-chan and Haruka-chan that I reported it to the headmaster!"