chapter » thirty

Something about little Emily made Lucy want to curl up on the couch and fall asleep with her. Perhaps it was some deep-down maternal instinct that made her thoroughly enjoy sitting there and playing with Erza's daughter's hair until she found all the purple strands amid brown that she could. Lucy really didn't know. But she knew that she loved it.

"Are you sure it went okay?" Natsu's voice was quiet to keep Emily from waking up. She had to give him props for actually containing his voice for once. "You seem quieter than usual."

Lucy shrugged her lithe shoulders. "Just don't want to disturb her." She gave Natsu a weary smile and drew her fingers through the little girl's hair again.

"None of your family gave you a hard time? If they did, I'll fight them." Natsu promised.

Lucy managed a genuine smile that lasted a couple of seconds. She had just gotten back from her mother's funeral, and the jet lag was still floating over her like a dark grumpy cloud. She didn't want to spend any more time at her family's estate than necessary, so she took a flight out during the middle of the night.

"I know." She said, her eyes locking with Natsu as he sat in the armchair next to the couch. "You can keep your fists to yourself for the time being."

Despite the fatigue that took over her body from one-in-the-morning landing, Lucy was glad it happened that way. If not, then she never would have been able to babysit so Erza and Jellal could have a night off at home. Besides, Emily seemed to really enjoy the mess of blankets and food randomly strewn around Natsu's apartment.

"You're really good with kids." Natsu said plainly. He laid his chin on the armrest like a tired dog.

That was the best compliment Lucy heard since she got home. She never had been around kids much, but she liked them. "I just want to make sure they have a childhood worth remembering."

Natsu got up from his seat and instead sat down at the foot of the couch. It reminded her of that day when he first said he loved her. How impulsive, Lucy thought to herself, he barely knew me.

"You know that's why I love you?" Natsu's words and shiny onyx eyes alike caught her attention. "The way you make everyone actually feel like life is worth living. I think it's impossible for someone to be sad around you."

Lucy's fingers stilled when going through Emily's hair, only to resume again when the little girl shifted in her seat. "You need to give me a warning before you say things like that."

Natsu smiled so broadly that his grin and his eyes competed for the spotlight. "Am I making you blush? I can't tell, you may need to specify."

"More like may need to feed your ego." Lucy murmured, reaching out to playfully kick him.

Natsu stifled a laugh and grabbed her leg, leaning against her and in turn laying his head on her lap. "Why don't you pet me like that? I'm jealous."

Lucy cocked an eyebrow. "Her hair is softer."

"Is not." He gasped. "Take it back."

The blonde shook her head, and Natsu narrowed his eyes in determination. He pushed himself upright, crawling up to lean over her, his hands grasping the backrest just behind Lucy's shoulders.

His nose touched up against hers. Lucy couldn't help but raise her hand so her fingers could slide through his hair. Wispy pink locks poked between her fingers as she gently grabbed and stroked through handfuls.

Natsu's breath fell softly over hers, and they both smiled. Lucy didn't want to - smiling just took so much effort - but she couldn't help it. It was so ironic to her that Natsu saw her as the one to make everyone smile yet she could never not be completely giddy around him.