chapter » four

Lucy didn't need a kiss to feel the warmth of his lips; Natsu's radiance was burning just shy of the point of it being painful.

She wondered if she had imprinted on him the same lingering fire he left on her skin. It surely had to hurt, whether it was his ego or not, but it was nothing compared to any pain becoming involved would've caused them.

She wrung her hands together, nervously tugging at her gloves. Just being so close to him was enough to make her feel disgusted; she had this scent over her that left her skin ridged with chills, her pores sweating at the same time.

He was a burning sun, and every thought of hers revolved around him. Annoying was an understatement for the constant nagging at the back of her mind. The idea of someone being so involved with her made her want to cry with aggravation.

He's too oblivious to be so cruel on the inside, Lucy assured herself. Though she always had a way of picking out the bad guys.

The tiredness had set in by the time Lucy got home. The thin mittens pulled off her hands and fell into the bin beside the door, right next to her keys. Her jacket, her shoes were in a heap on the floor, the blonde too hasty to put then away neatly as usual. He was already messing with her and he wasn't even here.

Lucy pulled the hair tie from her blonde locks, the mess of yellow tumbling down. Her scalp ached from having it in such tight hold. Relief flooded her body and she fell onto her bed, limbs snuggling under the thick blankets.

Her bed was warm, but it felt empty. There was no humid breath rushing against her face, no heat wrapping its arms around her body. The sun seemed too far away, like its heat wasn't quite making its way to reach her.

His scarf was softer than she imagined. The fabric bunched up, clenched in her fist. She pulled it closer to her, the black and white checkers all she could see.

Her sight was blurry, like she just woke up to see the sun hovering a foot above her face. Everything was cast in a golden halo; burning gracefully.

The smile was the brightest thing of all. It was broad and carefree, just as white as the pattern on half his scarf. It took up all her sight. All else ceased to exist.

Her skin flared with heat as his hand pressed against her outer thigh. The muscles in her leg seemed to contract and relax all at once, conflicted by each sensation of his touch.

"Luce." His lips were gentle against her skin. Each breath he took tickled her, goosebumps running over flesh in excitement.

She couldn't keep her hands from sifting through his hair. Never had she felt anything so soft. The color was soothing, the sensation addicting. His scent enveloped her.

"Luce," his hands caressed further up her thigh, palms pressing into the wide of her hips, "relax."

She didn't know how; every cell on her body was humming with ecstatic vibrations. They made her hands shake. Her only hope was to clench tighter onto his scarf, onto his hair, and hope his warmth would calm her.

Her chest rose and fell with each breath. His exhales became her inhales, the breaths shared between them tumbling around like smoke in the air.