chapter » six

Lucy did not see Natsu the next day like he had said. Nor the next day, nor the day after that.

Not having any classes together made it a lot easier to avoid each other. Though, they weren't really avoiding. Lucy wasn't, at least. She wasn't sure if she wanted to see him or not. She clearly owed him an apology, but even if she saw him she doubted she'd be able to manage the words.

It had almost been a week since Lucy had first met Natsu. That made it only a few days since their first and last kiss. It was strange that it happened so quickly, but she felt like she was waiting for it her entire life.

The weather was still just as bitter and cold as it had been lately. Lucy was thankful for the constant in her life, even if it was unenjoyable to walk in. Just the stability made her feel a little more at ease.

It wasn't her first option, but walking up and waiting at the bus stop was the best idea to get out of the cold. There were the smokers as usual, and she coughed just looking at the grey tinge in the air.

"Want a puff?" The same gruff voice from last week asked her. If she wasn't so shy, she'd ask his name so she had something to call him other than The Bus-stop Asshole. She just calmly smiled and shook her head.

The man pouted, one arm wrapped around the metal pole of the stop sign as he leaned on it. That's gross. Lucy scrunched up her nose at him as he blew smoke into her face. "Awe, why not, sweetheart?"

Before she could answer, someone else had. "Bacchus, you got a light?"

Lucy and the other man both looked behind him to see the raven-haired and scowl-faced man named Gray. "Morning, Lucy. Is he bugging you?"

The blonde shook her head in a lie. Gray just sighed, holding out the cigarette between his fingers for Bacchus to light it. Without a word, the man did, and Gray drew it to his lips again.

"Nice clothes." Lucy said quietly. Bacchus groaned, clearly unamused by the conversation he wasn't involved in and left.

Gray smirked as he bit onto his cigarette. "Thank you. They're new."

A small smile tugged at Lucy's lips. "I figured." She shuffled her feet on the sidewalk as she saw the bus round the corner. "You're into some bad habits, you know."

Furrowing his brows at her, Gray pulled the stick from his mouth and frowned. "Whad'ya mean?"

Lucy shrugged. "Smoking and stripping. You're not exactly an exemplary student."

Gray laughed, and it sounded so genuine Lucy laughed as well. It had been a while since she made someone laugh like that. Someone other than Natsu, even, but that was another story. "I can't help it. The rebel-type just speaks to me."

There was a high pitched screech as the bus halted at the curb. The doors opened and people filed on. Gray stood behind Lucy, waiting for her to go on and he to follow. There was one seat left, and Lucy sat on the very edge after Gray gave her a courteous and understanding nod.

"The rebel type?" Lucy smiled up at him. He leaned against one of the poles, one hand lazy tangled into one of the rope handles. "Is that why you have innocent baristas swooning over you?"

Gray looked down at her, clicking his tongue as if to say 'wrong move.' "Stay in your lane, blondie." He chuckled, drawing the cigarette between his lips.