Chapter 20 - Hey, Darling

"Kace, you alright?"

Jillian's voice brings me back to reality. I nod. "Yeah, yeah. I'm fine," I say.

"No, you're not. What's up?" she asks, sitting next to me.

I take a deep breath, then I tell her everything that happened with Nick at the park.

"Wait, you think he was going to break up with you?" Jillian asks when I'm done. I shrug.

"Well, it sure seemed like it," I say. "Oh Kacey, little clueless Kacey," she says.

"He loves you. You may not see it, but he does. He said that because he wants to protect you. He doesn't want you to get hurt, especially if it was his fault."

Before I can speak, my phone rings.

"Hello?"

"Hey, darling."

I smile. "Hey, Nick. What's up?"

"Wanna hang out?" he asks. I look at Jillian. She just nods.

"Yeah. When and where?"

"30 minutes and my house?" he asks. "I'll be there soon," I tell him.

He hangs up. "30 minutes?" Jillian asks. I nod.

---------•---------

I go to ring the doorbell, but Nick opens the door. "Hey," he smiles. "Hey," I reply.

"Come on in," he says, opening the door wider.

I step in, the warm air from outside disappearing and being replaced with the cool air in Nick's house.

"So, why'd you ask me to come over?" I ask. "I wanted to spend the day with you before I leave for Miami again," he says.

I frown slightly. "When do you leave?" I ask.

"Listen, I just got called and they need to finish another episode or else we won't finish in time," he says, worried I will be mad at him.

"It's fine, I just want to know when you're leaving," I smile.

He sucks his breath in. "3 in the morning."