Chapter 3 - Three Reasons

"Oh, Kacey. You broke our little deal. Now you're going to pay."

I turn around. "Sara, he asked me. If he wouldn't have dragged me off, I would have let you dance with him," I tell her. "But you wanted to dance with him," she says.

"As true as that is, we made a deal. I promised I'd stay away from him. But he dragged me off, and I didn't want to be rude," I explain to Sara. She thinks for a minute.

"Fine. But this is your one chance, Jensen. Next time, a text will be sent to the whole school," she says, waving her phone in front of my face, then walking off.

I avoid Nick for the rest of the night, which isn't hard, considering every girl is all over him. The dance seems to end quickly, even though it was almost four hours long.

Jillian and Isabelle come home with me, since their staying the night. My parents are out of town, so it's just us three.

We change out of our dresses, and then we sit in our usual spots on my bed. Jillian against the headboard, Isabelle against my wall, and me at the end.

As soon as we sit, they stare at me. "What?" I ask them. "Tell us about your dance with Nick!" Isabelle squeals.

"Well, he said he was sorry Sara was so rude, then I told him it didn't bother me and he said I have some thick skin," I start. "Yeah yeah, get to the good stuff!" Jillian says.

"Don't rush me. I asked him why he asked me to dance, and he said it's because I'm the coolest girl he knows," I say. Before I can say anything, they both scream.

"What?!"

"No way!"

"Oh my God, that is awesome!"

"Did he say why you're the coolest girl?" Jillian asks.

"He gave me three reasons. My purple streak, I'm smart, and he thinks I'm a good singer," I laugh. "I knew he heard you singing at my house!" Jillian says.

"He so has a crush on you," Isabelle giggles. "No, he doesn't," I argue.

Before they can say anything else, my phone makes a noise from across the room. Our heads all snap towards it. I get up, and see who it's from.

"It's from Nick."