Chapter Twenty: You Can't Escape

The picture to the side is the closest to what I imagine to be Renee. (Animation)

~

Adrenaline runs through my veins, the sensation sweet on my lips, my skin crawling in delight. He finally pulls away, a smile on his face.

"Morning my love," he smiles brightly.

"Good morning," I smile in response.

The night before seemed to never end. After having a talk with Crale about the whole Mark deal, we went back to cleaning. Crale got the kitchen all cleaned up within an hour, with the help of Fix - I love that weasel -. Talon flew around, picking up large glass shards with her talons, and throwing them away, saving us from bleeding. Julie and Mask dealt with the food covered walls, scraping off the chunks with their claws. Derick and I finished sweeping, Crale joining in and helping with the cushions. We finished at about four... in the morning.

Crale carries me downstairs - we used another guest bedroom -, both of us in jeans and grey T's.

"Hey, what's up?" Rebecca chimes in at the fixed dining table. She's eating a bowl of Life - live longer, happier -.

"Nothing much, how'd you sleep?" I smile. Considering how wild yesterday was, I'd say we're all trying to cover it up with a bunch of smiles and pleasant conversation.

We - Crale and I - take the opposite side of that table, across from Rebecca, We grab some fruit in a bowl and begin to eat.

"Okay, but a little uneasy."

"Why's that?"

She gestures to the empty seat next to her.

"Ah, where is he?" Crale takes a clean bite out of a green apple while I start to peel my banana.

"After you guys finished cleaning, he came in to tell me he's be back in around an hour with groceries, then he's leave again to talk to Renee about something."

"Do you know when he'll be back?"

She shakes her head, giving a half smile. "Soon, I hope. So, uh -- what was so important?"

Crale and I share a quick worried glance. "Uh-"

"-Hey, sorry, had to talk to-" Derick walks in the front door.

"Hey!" Rebecca jumps out of her seat, running to him. He smiles almost immediately. She jumps into his arms and he hugs her. "I missed you!"

He laughs. "I missed you, too."

Crale smiles, slowly standing. I follow his lead. "Hey,"

"Hey," he replies calmly back. Rebecca squeals."

"What did you have to tell Renee?" I ask, walking over to a couch and flopping down. Crale sits next to me.

Derick sets Rebecca down and she immediately transforms out of her insane eagerness into complete seriousness.

"Actually, she called me." He replies, taking a seat on one end of the love seat, Rebecca on his lap.

Our attention turns to the stairs, creaking, the sound of tiny and large paws running down them. Julie and Mask trot past the threshold, their tails high. They walk right past us and into the bedroom that Rebecca was in last night. Mask kicks the door closed with his leg.

Crale and I share a confused glance, but we disregard this and return out attention to Derick and Rebecca.

"What about?" I ask after a moment of silence.

"She told me about you being in amane and Mark being your soul mate."

"So it's true, huh?" Crale looks at me with sorrowful eyes.