Chapter Two: Got to Love Canadians

I walked down the stairs in tight black jeans and a black based tank with bright, green, thorn vines weaving around in various patterns. Chris was sitting on my brown couch, his elbows on his knees, his head in his hands.

"You okay?" I asked, sitting next to him. I curled my arm around his shoulder.

"I'm sorry, you know I can't help it." he quietly sobbed.

"I know you can't, but it was your idea to stay apart."

He lifted up his head, a tear skidded down his cheek. "Well maybe I've changed my mind."

At that moment, I stood up with a shocked expression on my face. I stumbled backwards, my balance weak, but strong enough to keep me up. I wanted to say something, but I just couldn't. My mouth hung open like a puppet gasping for air.

He stood up and walked towards me, now in the center of the pale, peach oval rug in the center of my living room. He looked down into my eyes, his hands grabbing hold to my elbows. "I've been thinking lately."

"Well that's a first!" I rolled my eyes and smiled, trying to lighten up the moment.

"Now is really not the time for jokes, Melody." His face was completely serious. It almost scared me.

"Look Chris," I managed to choke out the first few words. He just starred deeply into my eyes, his expression thoughtful. I swallowed, managing to finish my sentence. "I like you, a lot, but maybe because it's the anniversary of your parents death, you're going crazy. You always get a little dramatic on the tenth of May."

If that couldn't bring him back to reality, nothing could.

He shook his head, dropping his hands to his side. "You're right, sorry. You want to drive?" I followed him as he walked towards my kitchen.

"No, I don't know where we are going." I paused, "Yea, I don't know."

He laughed as he opened up the garage door. A black bug was parked in the center. I followed him curiously. "Remember, we are going to pick up Mask and Julie at Rebecca's house?"

"Uh, sure?" We laughed in unison at that.

He hopped into the drivers seat, slamming it shut. I lazily climbed into the passenger seat. He began backing out into the driveway, closing the garage door as he made the turn towards Rebecca's house.

Rebecca was taller than me -who isn't- and like Chris and me, eighteen and a recent graduate from Drake High School. She owned a bird, a hawk. To my surprise, she managed to tame it. She named her, Talon -so creative, right?-. Anyways, she had long, brown, wavy hair and hazel eyes to match. She was filthy rich and one of my best friends.

Oh, and you should know something. We live in the city called Drake, mostly associated as the city that stopped improving and stayed in the past. Unlike the other cities around us, Drake never advanced past the so called End of the World. Instead of adopting the idea of hovercrafts, we stuck with the ordinary gas powered vehicles. Instead of using relicts, the upgraded school at home, we kept the idea of a large mass of people within one building. And my least favorite part, the idea of hyper tanks. Hyper tanks, are in short, the all time futuristic way to live. Looks like a simple upright hollow cylinder with a door, but so much more complex. Hovercrafts, relicts, and hyper tanks, all things in which we lack. In fact, we are so far behind the rest of the world that people visit Drake to get a taste of life in the past. That's how far behind we are. I see it as pathetic, however, the goverment see's it as a great way to educate the children of America. I call it torture for those of us who live in this great land in which we learn from. Pft, society.