Things My Father Wrote

January

My little girl is all grown up. Seventeen years old. It only seems like yesterday that I was holding her in my arms as a baby. It's not only her that is growing. I've started to notice some strange things. Dawn has been having nose bleeds. Not the normal kind. These start out of the Blue for no reason. Things around the house have been broken. Dawn seems to be drained of her strength most days.

I'm growing more worried as each minute passes by. I have to figure this out for my daughter's sake. I won't loose her like I lost April. I can't..

I felt tears sting my eyes as I read. He truly cared for me. I wish I could remember him. I wish I could remember my mother. Its too late now. They're gone. I blinked back the tears and turned to the next page.

March

Dawn's powers have reveled themselves. That's why she was having nose bleeds. That's why things were breaking around the house. She had received her powers and she didn't know how to control them. I am going to teach her how. Show her the way. She won't be alone in this.

June

Dawn is making great progress. It's only been Three months and she has learned self control perfectly. I didn't want this life for her. She has taken to it like a charm though. She has taken it better than I thought she would. She is strong. Just like me. She is one of the most precious things in my life. I love her dearly. 

My father sounds like he was a good man. I wish I could go back in time and see him at least once. To let him know that I'm okay and that I'm safe. I sighed and read on.

September

Things are starting to get bad. Dawn will be eighteen soon. The dark creatures that roam this place have started to take notice of her, of her power. I can't let anything happen to her. I won't.  We need to send her away. Rachel doesn't think it's a good idea but we're running out of time.

I hate to do this to my daughter, any parent would. I know the risks but I need to keep her safe. I need to keep her alive.

That last entry gave me chills. He mentioned my mother. I wonder who I looked like more. I ran a hand through my hair. This journal shows their love for me. At least that's something I can keep with me. I looked down at the page and noticed there was something on the back.

I frowned slightly and ripped open the back of the book. There was an envelope. I put the journal on the table and opened up the envelope and began to read the letter.

My Dearest Dawn,

If you're reading this then you will know the truth. You will know what we done to you, what I done to you.  Please know that it was for your own safety. We wanted nothing more than to keep you safe.

By reading this letter I know you are with Dante. I trust him to keep you safe. His love for you is unconditional. I wish you were able to remember your life. How it really was. 

Your powers are nothing to be afraid of Dawn. Embrace them. Use them for good like I know you will.

Even though we might not be there anymore we are still watching over you. We will be there whenever you need us. You are never alone. We will always be with you.

Love Always,

Eric

The tears I was fighting so hard to hold back were now falling down my cheeks. I set the letter down ontop of the book on the table and sat back. I wiped my tears away. I then heard someone enter the room. I looked up and saw Dante.

"Are you okay?" He asked, concerned.

I reached over and handed him the letter. He took it from me and sat down beside me. I watched him as he read it.

Once he was finished he looked up at me.

"Where did you find this?" He asked.

"It was in the back of the book. It was hidden" I replied.

"The thing that is puzzling me is that he doesn't mention Aaron" he said.

"Maybe he knew that Aaron is a traitor" I answered.

I hated Aaron. In fact hate isn't the word to describe how I felt about him. He was no Angel. Angels protect people not try to kill them. I don't know what I'd do if I ever saw him again.

Dante placed the letter down and took my hand in his. Shivers ran down my spine as I looked up at him.

"Your father is right. You're never alone" He said, lifting my hand to his lips and laying a gentle kiss against my skin.

I smiled slightly at him "Thank you"

He smiled at me but then his smile faded.

"Dante what's wrong?" I asked frowning.

I watched as he turned his attention to the front door. I looked at the door and then back to him.

"Dante?"

"There's someone out there" He replied, rising to his feet.

Aaron instantly came into my mind. My heart began to race. My breathing became erratic. I stood up and watched as he made his way over to the door. I stood in the hallway, waiting to see who it was.

Dante cautiously opened the door. My eyes widened when my eyes fell on them. What was he doing here?

"Tyler?" I whispered.