Waking Up

Beep...beep...beep

What was that annoying sound? It was making my already aching head hurt more. I tried to open my eyes. They weren't moving. I tried to move my hand. It wasn't moving. What was going on?

That's when it came. That's when I felt it. Pain.

My ribs were sore. I could feel the pain shooting through my body. I was lying on something soft though. What had happened to me?

The last thing I remember was Aaron. He and I were at the top of the stairs. He pushed me...I fell down the stairs...He is the traitor.

Why was he doing this? Who else was he teaming up with? Did he help April escape from that mental institute?

There were so many unanswered questions racing through my fragile mind. I needed answers. I hated being in the dark all the time.

I finally managed to open my eyes. I quickly shut them again though because the room I was in was so bright. I groaned slightly.

"Dawn?" I heard a familiar voice ask.

Their voice echoed in my mind. That beautiful voice. Who was it?

I opened my eyes slowly this time. When they opened I saw a shadow leaning over me. I blinked a few times trying to get my eyes to adjust. He came into focus. His dark hair, Blue eyes and perfect face came into sight.

"You're awake" He smiled at me.

"D-Dante" I whispered.

He sat back down on the chair beside the bed I was lying in. I looked around. I was in a hospital room. Was I back home?

"Where are we? Is this earth?" I asked.

"No. It's a special hospital for all sorts of creatures" He explained to me.

"Where's Aaron?" I asked, frightened to even say his name.

"I'm not sure. When I got home I found you at the bottom of the stairs and he was no where to be found" He replied.

I reached my hand up and moved my fringe out of my eyes. I felt a small bandage on my forehead. It must have been from when my head smacked against the step. A dull ache spread through my head. I winced slightly. I saw an IV needle in my hand that connected to a drip.

"How did you manage to fall down the stairs? You need to be more careful" He smiled at me again.

I looked over at him. He didn't know?

"I didn't fall Dante" I told him.

His smile faded. His eyebrows knitted together in a frown.

"What happened then?" He asked.

Could I really tell him? Could I tell him that Aaron was a traitor? That he tried to kill me?

"April was in my room. She tried to kill me. Aaron came in but she was gone. He helped me up and then the phone began to ring. He left to go and answer it. I needed a drink so I was on my way to the kitchen to get something and I heard him talking on the phone" I began to explain.

"Then what happened?" Dante asked, listening to my every word.

"It was April he was talking to" I said.

"April? Why would he be talking to her? How did she escape from the institute?" He asked, confusion in his voice.

"I'm not sure. I think they're working together" I bit my lip slightly.

"So how did you fall down the stairs?" He asked me.

"Aaron knew I was listening. I ran down the hall and he was there. He grabbed my throat and..." I trailed off.

I felt Dante take my hand in his gently. "Go on"

I looked at him. His Blue eyes were full of concern.

"He threw me down the stairs" I whispered.

I watched him wondering how he was going to react. 

"He pushed you down the stairs" He said with anger in his voice.

I didn't say anything. I didn't know what to say. My head was pounding. My body ached. I was too tired to argue.

"He won't get away with this Dawn. I promise you. I don't know why he has done this" He said, running a hand through his Raven Black hair.

"I'm sorry Dante" I whispered.

"You have nothing to apologise for Dawn. This isn't your fault" He said as he took my hand in his again.

I felt his soft lips caress the skin of the back of my hand with a kiss. I sighed as I began to relax.

"It's good to see that you're awake Miss Carter" A new voice in the room said.

Both Dante and I looked up to see a woman standing there. She had long  Blond curls and her eyes were a light Gold color. They were so light they were almost White. She was wearing a White lab coat and holding a chart in her hand.

"I'm Dr Kirk. I was just coming in to check on you. How do you feel?" She asked as she came round the bed.

"Sore mostly" I replied.

"That's completely normal after the injuries you have sustained" She answered.

"What injuries do I have exactly?" I asked her.

"Well lets see" She said looking at the chart in her hand.

I looked at Dante quickly. He was staring off into space as if he was thinking about something. He was thinking about Aaron no doubt.

"You have 2 broken ribs on your left side. A laceration to your forehead. You've twisted your Right ankle and you have multiple cuts and bruises all over" She read from the chart.

I wasn't surprised by the amount of injuries considering the speed I'd plummeted down those stairs. 

I watched as the doctor came closer to me. She shone a light in my eyes. I blinked a few times. She put the small torch back in her pocket and smiled at me. That's when I saw her fangs. I could hear the heart monitor beeping faster as my heartbeat quickened slightly.

"Dawn do not be frightened. I'm here to help you" She assured me.

I slowly nodded.

"You look like you're making an excellent recovery. Your wounds are healing nicely. I'll go and speak with the nurse and have you discharged within the hour" She told me.

"Thank you" I said.

She smiled at me again before excusing herself from the room. I turned my attention to Dante.

"Are all the doctors in here Vampires?" I asked him.

He smiled slightly and shook his head "No they're not. Some of them are Demons, others are witches"

My eyes widened slightly "Why do they work in a hospital?"

"Because they want to help. Not all creatures are monsters Dawn" He replied.

"So...are the patients here...supernatural?" I asked, biting my lip softly.

"Yes. As far as I'm aware you are the only human" He told me.

Great. Stuck in a hospital with all these supernatural beings and I'm the only human. At least I was getting out soon. That was a good thing...or was it?

We don't know where Aaron is. He could be anywhere waiting to make his next move. I knew we had to be ready for him...for April. Where was Jared? Where both Aaron and April working for him?

I looked down at Dante's hand in mine. They fit perfectly. I knew I'd be safe with him. I trusted him. He wasn't the only person I trusted though. I trusted Tyler too. I wondered at that moment if he was okay. If he was still alive. I prayed that he was.