●1. This Is Fate And It Happens!●

April 5, 2012

She woke up to the not-so-gentle patter of rain on the roof of her balcony and thunder rumbling from far away. The wind was howling like some horror movie scene and the room was still dark as night. She pushed the blankets off, immediately feeling the warmth of sleep began to slip away. She swung her feet over the side of the bed and sat up, rubbing the crust from her eyes. She stood up, her bare foot pressing against the blue and soft carpet, and walked towards the window. The glass was splattered with rain drops, as even more came down. The clouds swirled lightly in the sky, their pale grey color suggesting a long, mild and impending storm.

It was an unusual scene of Summer. It looked like as if storm had really been waiting to come and wash everything away.

She focused her gaze on the clock which was on the wall, as it was hard to guess the right time from weather outside. With her squinted eyes, she saw it showing 6:30 in the morning. Shaking her head with a small frown, she ran into the bathroom. She was late. She wanted to wish him first, before her whole family. Even, she had to leave for Mumbai by ten in the morning. She came out of the bathroom in twenty minutes, wearing her regular outfit like pink kurti paired with white leggings. She quickly dried her hair with a towel and just then her eyes fell on the bed where he was sleeping peacefully. Her sleeping beauty! She wanted to smile at him, she wanted to caress his cheeks, she wanted to run her fingers in his hair, she wanted to kiss him and tell him how much she loved him. But whatever she could do was just to wipe the stream of her tears away. She didn't want to ruin her day, his day, so she just splashed some water on her face to hide her tears. She cleared her face with a towel and went downstairs, glancing at him for one last time.

She stepped into the kitchen to make breakfast for everyone. As she was making tea for everyone, she heard someone's footsteps coming in her direction. Must be Ma! [Mother] She smiled and continued making breakfast.

"Amaya!" She heard a voice from behind, the voice that was filled with pain. And she knew the reason behind that pain.

"Ma! [Mother!] Everything will be fine." She said as she turned to face her mother-in-law. Her eyes were filled with tears but she controlled.

"Amaya, why don't you tell him the truth? Why are you hiding this from him?" Rekha—her mother-in-law asked and some tears escaped from her eyes.

"Ma! Please don't cry." Amaya wiped her tears with her thumb and said, "I can't see him breaking down. I can't see his sad face." She wiped her own tears and added, "At least not on Ansh's birthday. I want to see them happy today." She said and changed her gaze to gas stove.

"But-"

"Ma! We are going Mumbai, everything will be fine." Amaya assured Rekha and forced her lips to curve into a small smile.

"You really are so strong." Rekha made her face her and then patted her cheeks lightly.

Amaya passed a sad smile at Rekha and said, "No tears today! I'm going to Ansh's room, need to wake him up now." She said and wiped her tears, feigning excitement.

××××××××××

"Happy birthday to you! Happy birthday to you. Happy birthday dear Anshu. Happy birthday to you."

Ansh, Amaya and Himansh's son, it was his second birthday. He didn't know the meaning of birthday. He didn't know what they were celebrating and why they were celebrating. He was just happy because there was a big cake in front of his eyes which he knew, was delicious. He cut the cake and ate the first piece of it.