~Love, Regrets and Lies~ Chapter 5

Aimee

It was almost dusk when Sam's brother James came into my life. Bring forth the trumpets. For things just got complicated.

Diiing Doooong DIIIIING DOOOONG DIIIING DOOONG.

'I really have to change that bell.' I said to Emzhell, who was just packing up to leave. I ran down the stairs to the front door and opened it without even looking who is was- or checking my fringe.

'Hiya!' I said cheerfully, not recognising him, but sortof knowing his face from somewhere.

'Good evening. May...come in?' He spoke strangely but I opened the door wider for him to come in. 'Thank you...' he trailed off.

We walked into the the sitting room and he took a seat on an old wooden chair.

'NO!' Emzhell shouted at him. 'THAT'S THE ALPHA-' I glared at her. 'I-I mean, yeah, sure take that seat.'

I knew what she was going to say. This was the old packs house, since a couple of years ago, when the old alpha died and the pack moved into another house. The place had everything, in case of emergencies. Wing-repair kit from Peru, spare meat and blood for when we crave in Winter, everything! When the alpha died, Drake, his name was, he left only a chair here. He died because of a break-up with his long term partner, Siobhán. Emzhell loved that chair, even though it was just six planks glued together, she forbid anyone to sit in it.

'Excuse...?' James asked.

'Oh, um, sorry,' I mumbled slowly, thinking frantically fora good excuse. 'This is...um, this is...' I couldn't remember her name!

'I'm Danielle Evans, I bought that chair just yesterday, and it is a tradition in this house to not...sit in...uh, chairs that were...expensive.' She stumbled. I smirked at her.

'I don't mean to be rude, but, why are you here? What's your name?'

'Sorry, I...James Worths...Why you...kill...brother?'

James Worths. That name rang a bell somewhere. Sam.

'Kill Sam? I! I-no! NO! Never!'

'You...drow.'

That shut me up.

'What?' I laughed.

'You...drow. You...trying...kill...brother.' I lost my temper then.

'Speak properly! I.AM.NOT.A.DROW!'

He looked startled.

'Can't! You...kill my brother' He started shouting then, 'You killed my brother and my sister! now you're trying to kill my last remaining sibling-Sam! I won't let you do it!'

It was my turn to look startled. I could see now where I had seen his face. In his brother's face, the one I had killed.

'I'm sorry. I felt so bad...She was so young.'

And now my secret is out. James knew I was a drow.