Leaving You

Slim

I sat down in front of Drew, not really giving a damn what he had to say. The diner we were at wasn't packed and was somewhat secluded. It was decorated in mostly racing decor. I zoned out then Drew cleared his throat, snapping me back to reality.

"How is Platinum and the baby?" he asked. I could tell right off the bat that he was beating around the bush, wasting my time.

"Both of them are just fine, don't be worried about them. What did you call me down here for?"

He threw his hands up, "We still boys right? I can't catch up on old times with my nigga and see how he's doing?"

"Hell no, you can't. I'm not your nigga and we aren't boys, either."

"I'm the motherfucker that held you down in prison when your baby's mother didn't! Matter of fact, I was the one trying to make her keep her legs closed!"

"For one thing, don't even fucking speak on Platinum! Hold me down, nigga? The reason I don't fuck with you right now is because I heard you were on that snitch shit while I was upstate! On top of that, the nigga Platinum was fucking around with was your brother!"

"My brother? Who, Scoota?" he asked.

"What other brother? Hell yeah Scoota." I sat back, already tired of dealing with the bullshit that was pouring from his mouth.

"I'll talk to him but back to Platinum, though. I'm telling you the baby isn't yours. That baby could've been mine before yours and I haven't even slept with her."

"She's ninety-nine point nine percent mine so do yourself a favor, aight? Don't speak on my lady and don't speak on my child. I'll be right back in that hell hole with your bipolar ass brother."

He raised his hand, "Hold on, what? You know where Scoota is?"

"He's in prison, dumb ass! He's been there for a lil' minute, actually!" I laughed a little and he was getting pissed by the second.

"Well I guess you'll call it even when your precious baby girl isn't breathing any longer," he said with a smirk.

"What the fuck did you just say?" I snatched him up by his collar. My phone started vibrating in my pocket. I pulled it out and saw Platinum's picture on the screen. "Hello?"

"Slim," she whispered into the phone, "somebody's at the front door damn near beating it down and they have a gun. I got a crazy ass letter from Scoota and I think he sent them to kill Imani, please hurry."

"I'm on my way," I said before hanging up. I walked to Drew's side of the table and gave him a hard blow to the face. "This ain't over, bitch." I walked to my car and did eighty all the way home.

Platinum

I ran to my closet and opened one of my hidden safes. I stuffed stacks of money into my duffel bag before running to my bedroom window. I slide it up and threw the duffel bag out. I locked the bedroom door and ran into the bathroom. After I turned the shower on, I crawled out of the window and slide it down behind me.

I stopped walking, "Shit, I can't go through the front yard, they're going to see me for sure. Think Platinum."

I looked up and got an idea. I heard the neighbor's pit bull barking before I even made my move but I'd much rather get bitten than shot, again. I got my head start and took off before jumping the gated fence. The dog started barking loudly and I saw my neighbor's window blinds move. I ran to the side of the house.

"Buster? What's the matter buddy? Whatcha barking at?" Mr. Henley caressed the dog's huge head.

Before taking off through the front yard, I made sure Buster had him occupied. I made a run for it and Buster began barking again. Running through my neighborhood like an escaped fugitive, I caught the attention of other neighbors-exactly what I didn't want.