Expecting

Slim

"Hello?"

"Slim I need to come see you, it's important."

"Is something wrong?" I asked Platinum.

"Yes, really wrong."

"You crying?"

"Yes, I'm on my way though. I'm almost at the prison."

"Aight."

She hung up the phone and I got out of line. I went and sat down with my homie Zo. He was grubbing on the slop that they feed us.

"How you eat that shit man?" I asked shaking my head.

"When you in here for five years, you get used to the shit."

"That's exactly what it look like."

"What happened with you and ole' dude?" He asked me.

"I sliced his ass up, he in the infirmary."

"Hell nah. What happened?"

"He was tripping off some shit 'bout his baby momma. She the reason I'm in here."

"I thought Platinum was the reason."

"Yeah but Asia is the initial reason. She planted some drugs in my crib when I let her stay, being nice and shit. Platinum killed her so they added nine years to my sentence."

"My nigga I know you love her and shit but I woulda killed Platinum. You really think she gon' wait on you?"

"I don't know man. I hope she ride for me but if not, it is what it is. I still love her."

Platinum

I sat down in front of Slim with tears still flowing down my cheeks. I feel so horrible about it all. What was I thinking?

"What's up? Why you crying?"

"Slim I did you wrong. I cheated on you with Drew's brother Scoota. We had sex twice. Once at Drew's house when he was on vacation and then at a hotel when Drew got back. I should've held you down but temptation is a strong motherfucker. I feel like shit, I'm so serious. I came to break up with you because I didn't want you to think I was still waiting on you when you get out. I fucked up and after all you've done for me, I still didn't consider your feelings. I just wanted you to know."

"That's why you crying?" He asked.

"Yeah, please don't come across this table and strangle me."

"Thank you for being real with me and telling me before I found out from somebody else. Maybe we just weren't meant to be Platinum. No hard feelings."

"What? That's it?"

"Yeah. I hope your life is everything you want it to be. I know you expected me to flip this table over and wish bad on your life but you don't do that to somebody you love."

"You still love me Slim? After all that shit I just told you?"

"I don't think I ever will stop loving you. You were my first love, I'll always have something for you."

"Fuck, I'm such a screw up." I weeped into my hands. I soon felt Slim's hand rubbing my back. The same way he rubbed it when my little sister got killed.

"Just learn from the shit you did and don't do it to the next person."

He got up and walked off. I could've just fallen out right there. I think if he would've come across the table on me, it would've been better for my feelings. I'm so hurt right now. The fact that he didn't even seem mad and I know he's hurt, breaks my heart.

"Scoota I asked you to come down here because I need to tell you something important."

"I'm waiting."

"First of all, I don't know why you're even mad. We aren't together and we have no strings attached. Even if we did, I was only dancing with him. Second of all, don't put your hands on me. Last but not least, I'm done. I don't want to do this anymore."

"What?" I could tell he was heated.

"I don't want to be your fuck buddy anymore. Temptation made me fuck up something good, now I'm sitting around looking shitty."

"You wasted my fucking time? I don't give a fuck about Slim!"

"Lower your voice," I commanded.

"You with me now, we in this thing for the long haul."

"You shitting me? Don't let the innocent face fool you sweetheart."

I got up, grabbed my Prada bag and went to my car. Scoota has lost his ever loving mind if he thinks he can control me.

-- Three months later --

I sat in the doctor's office, shivering from how cold it was. I came here to get checked out because this past week, I've been throwing up, my head has been hurting on and off and I just feel heavy. I think I might have a stomach virus or something.

"Okay Ms. Collins," Dr. Nelson entered the room with her clipboard.

"What's wrong with me?"

"Well, it's not a stomach virus if you're still thinking that."

"What is it then? Its not the flu is it?" I was about to panic if I had the flu.

"No ma'am. You're pregnant," she said with a smile.

"No! I can't be!" I began crying.

"Yes, you are. When was your last menstrual cycle?"

"Um," I started thinking. "A while."

"Exactly."

"How far along am I?" I asked, tears still rolling down my cheeks.

"Ten weeks," she answered.

"Okay." I shook my head and stood up.

"Give this to the lady at the front desk and she'll tell you when your first appointment will be."

I took the paper and left the room. I walked up the hall and gave it to the lady. She put something in the computer then gave me an appointment card with the date on it.

"Congratulations," she said with a smile.

"Thank you." I sniffed and got in my car to leave.

"Momma!" I closed her front door behind me and walked towards the kitchen since I smelled food.

"In here baby!" She called back.

When I walked in, I saw Drew sitting on the counter eating cereal. I rolled my eyes and hugged my mom.

"What you cooking?" I asked.

"Chicken and shrimp Alfredo with cheesy Texas Toast."

My favorite. I remember when I made Slim cook that with me. It became his favorite meal, too. I miss him.

"Have you been crying?" She asked.

"No," I lied.

"Don't even lie to momma like that," Drew said.

"How 'bout you shut up?" I snapped.

"Whoa, hold on! What's up with you two?" Momma asked.

"Drew's always in my business."

"You should control your business then!"

"What exactly is that supposed to mean Drew?" I asked.

"That means keep your legs closed!" He yelled.

Momma gasped, "Platinum what is he talking about?"

"I cheated on Slim with Drew's brother."

"You're so much like your daddy. Platinum after all Slim has done for you, you do him like this? That boy loves you and is in prison because of you!"

"He's in there because of Asia!"

"If your smart mouth wouldn't have gotten something started, do you think Asia would've done what she did?"

I was quiet. I leaned up against the counter across from them, tears rolling again. I'm tired of crying!

"No ma'am."

"Alright then." She turned around to stir the Alfredo.

"Why did you come in here crying?" Drew asked.

I didn't answer him.

"Let me guess. Because you got caught? Don't worry, I didn't tell Slim."

"Drew shut the hell up! Damn! And don't think you can hang that shit over my head either because I went and saw Slim when all that shit happened three months ago, he knows! Get over that shit. It doesn't even have anything to do with you!"

Momma turned around, "So why were you crying?"

"I'm pregnant."

Drew dropped his spoon, momma looked at me with her eyes wide and I just dropped my head.