After the War

Harry's POV

I waved my wand at the light switch.

Nox.

Then, I flipped my pillow over.  What?  I like the cold side.

I looked at my right, where Luna was getting into bed.

"Harry," she said.  "Look."

She bent down to pick up a photo album from the floor of our brand new house.

She put it in the center of the bed.

On the front was Luna's elegant hand-painted "MEMORIES of Luna Lovegood and her Friends."

I put my arm around Luna's shoulders and looked at her.

"Luna, we haven't looked at this in a long time.  I-I think we should look at it now.  Andromeda would have wanted us to."

I turned to the first page.

There was a picture of Pandora holding Luna when Luna was born.  Xenophilius was smiling and tickling Luna.

Luna smiled.

I laughed.  "You actually don't look bad bald."

Luna laughed and turned to the next page.

There was a picture of Luna at a young age.  Xenophilius and Pandora stood behind her, and Pandora was holding a small Teddy bear.

She was handing it to the five-year old Luna.

"Luna, this must have been your favorite memory."

Luna looked at me and sighed.

"It was."

I turned to the next page.

This time, Luna was nine.  She was holding a small blue bird in her little hands.

"I found it on the ground," Luna said.  "I wanted to return it to its nest."

The next few pictures were just like this, small memories which made Luna smile wistfully.

On the next page was a newspaper article of me.  There were many other clippings from the Daily Prophet.

"Care to explain?" I asked.

Luna giggled.  "Okay, I may or may not have had a crush on you in my fourth year."

She quickly turned the page and held the book in her arms.

The picture on the page showed Dumbledore's Army, and was signed Colin Creevey.

"He was a great photographer," I said.

Almost all of our friends were captured in the picture.

Ron stood next to Hermione, and beamed as his Patronus danced in the air.  Hermione was holding her wand out.

Suddenly, I became very sad.

"Luna..."

Luna saw what I was pointing to and rested her head on my shoulder.

"Harry, wherever... Wherever Hermione is right now... I'm sure she's happy.  Honestly.  Ron might still be single now, but... I know he loves her with all his heart and will make the right choice."

She looked down at the small ring on her finger.  I had given it to her as a gift on her twentieth birthday.

There was a pained silence.

I didn't want to be reminded, so I quickly turned the page, only to see another heart-rending picture.

The picture was blurry, but a faint white light was in the background.

I had seen this picture in Colin Creevey's pocket as he was being carried out on the stretcher.

He had told me he was going to get a picture of Voldemort, and was holding up his camera when Voldemort saw him.

When Colin pressed the button, Voldemort had already sent the Killing Curse at him.

I had told Luna after the war, and with the permission of McGonagall, kept it in her photo album.

Luna bent down to turn the page, and a tear fell out of her eye and onto the page.

The next page was an image of the Weasley family, after the war.

There were only six people in the image: Ron, Ginny, Percy, George, and Mr. and Mrs. Weasley.

George had thinned down, and his eyes had lost their life and sparkle.  Ginny and Ron were sadly smiling, and they were standing next to where George was sitting.  When I looked closely, Ginny was holding George's hand, and Ron had his arm around the back of his chair.  Molly and Arthur were standing behind, sadly looking at the camera.  Molly had wrinkled on her face, and Arthur's hair was whitening.

"They... They've lost all their life.  And happiness.  Didn't they?" Luna whispered.

"Yes.  But they're trying to stay strong.  Just like... Just like when Hermione passed away."

We both stayed silent for a moment before turning the page.

The last photo showed Luna and I.  I was handing her a bouquet of yellow flowers, and she was smiling widely.

"Ha," I said.  "I remember that.  I forgot you were allergic to those flowers."

Luna smirked.  "Yes.  Yes I was.  Funny, I thought I told you before..."

I quickly turned the page to change the topic.

There was nothing on the next page but a "receipt" for the house I had bought for us two.

We had been dating for around 4 years, and I was ready to move in with someone by then to take care of Teddy.  We were nineteen years old then.

The next page showed us again, but this time, we were holding a small bundle with Teddy Tonks in it.  Teddy had bright blue hair and was sticking his tongue out at Luna.

The next few pages showed pictures and memories of Teddy, the last one being his first birthday party.

This time, the picture contained all the Weasleys plus Luna's father.  Everyone was happy and smiling.

I looked at the clock.

1:48

"Luna, look at the time!"

Luna looked at the clock and gasped.

"We better get to sleep."

She put the book in a small cabinet of our nightstand and switched off the light once more.

"Good night, Harry."

"Good night."