Chapter 47.

~~~Slade's P.O.V.~~~♡

                    (COURT DAY)

I sat impatiently with my lips pressed close to my folded sweaty hands, my right leg shaking rapidly to ease my nerves.

It wasn't working.

Nothing was working.

I couldn't be calm unless I knew for sure I would be able to keep Steve.

I had filed an application at court, I had explained our situation and how our father went to jail for physically hurting us, I truly did all in my power to show the judge that I was a good enough adult figure in Steve's life.

And I prayed to God that my past mistakes don't cause me losing Steve forever.

My good qualities outweighed the bad ones, and maybe if the judge focused on the good things about me and how I could take care of Steve along with provide for his needs including food, shelter, love, and money then I could successfully take him home with me.

I was a great person to be around if you didn't piss me off.

Despite my problems, unapproachable face, and love for breaking the rules I was a great person.

I was smart, I just don't embrace it.

I do fantastic in school and keeping up with grades if I tried hard enough.

I just need to be motivated, which is really hard in my case, but not impossible.

I was a hard worker, so I did earn money.

I earned enough for both Steve and I which is all I need.

I took out time for Steve which maintained him happy.

And most importantly I was Steve's brother.

His flesh and blood.

Noone could ever love that kid like I do.

Nobody would be able to take care of him like I would, nor understand him like I do, nor know him and what he's been through.

Nobody would be able to get what he needs right when he needs it like his true big brother.

That has to count for something.

Doesn't it?

"Mr.Johnson" a voice calls out that belonged to a women snapping me out of my thoughts.

I lift my head up.

I dry my hands on my pants and I quickly stand up.

"Yes, that's me" I answer clearing my throat nervously.

"The judge is ready for you, he has made his decision" the lady informs.

"Come with me" she adds offering me a smile.

"Thank you" I reply following behind trying my best to think positive and remain calm.

~*~

Walking out after the judge had made his decision I am greeted with Steve, Grace, and Grace's parents.

They were all seated on a brown wooden bench patiently waiting.

Steve was busy with Grace's phone probably playing games.

Grace was the only one who looked more desperate than any other honestly.

She was attempting to look and be calm but I could tell even from afar she was struggling with it.