Chapter 45.

"Is this it?" I ask holding his hand tightly.

He nods.

"Yup that's my home" he states not meaning it.

The way he said home, so bitterly, and he was just only a child.

A child was capable of this much bitterness.

They usually forgot and forgave quickly.

But this was different.

Steve couldn't just forget about the mistreat even if he wanted to.

It just wasn't that simple.

I could tell he didn't want to go back.

I could tell he never wished he met this home he was living in.

He wasn't happy.

He didn't want to return to it.

The only person he was willing to go back here for was Slade.

And vise versa.

Slade would do the same.

Steve was the only person who had him handling his father's crap and not leaving the house to rent an apartment far far away.

If it wasn't for Steve Slade would've ran away years ago, even right after his mom passed away.

Steve was the one who had him firmly planted here and keeping him in school.

Because of Steve Slade was a more hardworking, careful, strong, brave, independent, responsible, and loving brother.

Without Steve I probably would've never met Slade, Slade would've probably been locked up somewhere or just on the loose freely being reckless.

"Is-he.....umm......home?" I ask trying not to sound nervous or scared.

But in reality I was terrified.

Slade's warning just continued to echo inside my head over and over again.

"I don't think anyone is" he replies honestly.

"You want to go in to see if we can find Slade?" I ask him hoping he would protest against the idea.

"Yes please" he nods.

"Waiting here would probably result in less success" I agree unfortunately tightening my grip on his tiny hand.

I hope I don't squeeze it too hard.

He leads the way walking slowly towards the house.

We stop at the front door.

"You have the key?" I ask.

"Ummm" he thinks it over.

"Nope" he states.

I sigh a sigh of relief within me.

"But....." He begins again.

"We always keep a key under the welcome mat. Dad doesn't know about this, it's Slade's and my secret, now yours too" he explains.

"Of course" I smile.

He smiles back bending down to take the spare key.

Placing the key into the key hole the door opens smoothly revealing a nice organized home.

"Wow" I think outloud.

This is a really nice place, it would never even cross your mind that an alcoholic lives in here, considering the fact that they're always messy, disorganized, and reak completely of alcohol.