Ch. 10 Pricked by the Thorn

We left quickly once Lake returned. We teleported to the mountains but had to walk the rest of the way. I stood between them awkwardly not wanting to be near them. I still hadn't made up my mind what I was going to tell them yet. Lake would be expecting a quick answer and I couldn't give that to him.

"Man how much longer until we get there?" I asked the cold air nipping at my skin.

"Not long," Lake said as we trudged through the snow the rest of the way up the mountain.

"Chrystal look out," James said grabbing my arm pulling me toward him. I looked and soon realized I had almost walked off the side of the mountain.

"Thanks," I said as we reached a cave. To the average eye the cave wasn't there but I could see the glowing from inside. We walked in and the temperature was warm. They had magically made it warmer inside than outside. I took my coat off as Lake walked further into the cave.

"Jim I brought someone here to see you," Lake said as I followed him. I felt a hand grab mine pulling me back.

"Don't do this Chrystal," James pleaded looking into my gaze. "You could die."

"James I can't just let this go," I said softly his eyes filled with sadness. I felt a magnetic pull toward him, wanting to listen to him but my mind knew I needed to know the truth. I slipped from his hand walking into the back of the dark cave. Once back inside the room started to glow.

"Chrystal, you have come seeking answers," a man smiled walking toward me.

"Yes, I need to know who made me like this," I said softly as he nodded.

"Kneel. This may hurt," he said putting his fingers to my temples. I looked at Lake when suddenly pain rushed through me. A scream escaped my lips before I collapsed.

"She's so fragile, are you sure she's the one?" A man said as Lake faced him. "She doesn't even know one spell."

"I am sure, feel the strength and that's without marking her as an amulet," Lake said holding me in his arms. I faced him a smile playing at my lips. "You are so beautiful."

"As are you," I said pressing my lips to his. He caressed my cheek, we had been dating for months and I was falling for him.

"Can I mark you?" Lake asked as I pulled back.

"No," I said knowing I didn't want the magic. "I just want to be with you, I don't want the power." He smiled before shoving me on the ground pinning me down. I struggled against him as the other man handed him a knife. "No please don't!" I screamed as the blade cut into my stomach. Then the chanting began. I thought the knife hurt but then the spell raced through me. My blood felt like it was boiling me from the inside.

"You won't remember a thing," Lake whispered in my ear, "until I am ready!"

My eyes flew open as I stood. I found Lake leaning against the wall watching me. I felt rage from deep inside, he lied to me. I had strong feelings for him before I knew the truth about who he was and now all I wanted was his death. He forced this power on me and I knew he killed my mother. I assumed I had the mark my entire life but my life was a work of fiction.

"Hey beautiful," he said throwing his arm over my shoulder. I was about to pull away when I noticed James with a knife to his throat. "You are so much stronger than even I could have imagined." James struggled but he couldn't get away.

"Leave her alone," James growled, fearless even with the cold blade against his neck.

"She doesn't want me to leave her alone. We are engaged," Lake said as my stomach lurched. The memory floated to me, that was correct but the minute he forced the magic on me I wanted nothing more than to breakup with him. I fought against my emotions trying to remain calm.

"Chrystal," James said looking into my teary eyes. He knew I didn't want this.

"Just kill him," Lake said harshly.

"No," I spat as Lake looked confused.

"Why? He is nothing but an evil soldier," Lake said as my feelings toward Lake became cold and a distant memory. The attraction I felt for him wasn't current but an echo from my past.

"He isn't like that," I said harshly facing Lake. His smile faded quickly as the realization hit him.

"You care about him?!" He snapped looking at me. "What memory did you give her?"

"The one you told me to but somehow she took control and saw the end," the man said as Lake reached out pushing me into the cave wall. He gripped my neck looking at me.

"I might change my opinion if I were you. If we are no longer a couple then I might just break your slender neck," Lake growled with anger in his eyes. He pretended not to know me when he took me. My warm blood dripped down my scrapped hand as I looked at him. He thought he could hurt me with my new found power. The necklace roared to life knocking him away from me. He stood up rushing forward. The back of his hand hit my cheek. I winced reaching up to find a split lip. My hands began to glow the magic taking over I knocked both him and his friend out of the cave rushing to James. I saw that the magical barrier preventing access had been broken by my powers. James wrapped his arm around me getting ready to teleport us to my father. I felt a sharp pain in my back as we teleported. I collapsed against him as he gasped.

"Hang on Chrystal," James said carrying me to my father blood soaking my clothes. We reached my father as I began to slip into unconsciousness.

"James, I love you," I muttered before I slipped into the darkness...