Chapter 18: Please Get Well

I woke up very early because I was so excited to go swimming. I needed a vacation after everything I have been through in the first quarter.

I finished preparing myself at around 7am. I wore a WHOLE body swimsuit and a short.

When my mom and aunt Lisa got out of the room, my dad told me Leonard was sick and couldn’t join us.

“Huh?How come?” I asked.                                       

“Well, it seems that since yesterday, he was already sick. He woke up this morning with a 39 degrees and when he came back yesterday at the hotel he actually fainted. He was boiling hot.” My dad told me.

Oh no. Why didn’t he tell me? I feel so guilty about this. I should have let him rest. I should have forced him to take some medicine or what. He made sure my happiness first before his. This kind of guy.. I don’t deserve it.

“I’ll take care of him!” I said.

“You sure? I mean I can take care of him.” Aunt Lisa said.

“No, it’s my fault anyways. I was with him that night and I didn’t know he had a fever.”

They all left after a few minutes and I went in Leonard’s room.

He was sound asleep. I touched his head and it was so hot. I can’t believe it. He was getting more pale each minute.

He suddenly woke up and I was preparing his medicine.

“Hey. Drink this and get some sleep.” I said as I motioned to him.

“What are you doing here?” He asked.

“Going to take care of you.” I answered.

“Here. Drink this.” I said.

He drank it and felt so tired so he slept again.

He woke up at around 10am. I was cooking his breakfast. It was porridge.

I touched his head and felt the fever cooled down.

I finished cooking and added some carrots and potatoes. It’s a nice combination plus nutritious!

So I gave it to him. Hm, why isn’t he eating?

“You okay? Doesn’t it look delicious?” I asked.

“No, it’s not that. I’ll eat after a while. I just want to stretch my arms first. It kind of hurts. I don’t know why. Maybe because of the fever..” He said.

I took the spoon and told him to open his mouth.

“Huh? You’re going to..” i interupted him and just push the spoon into his mouth.

“Less talking, more eating.” I said.

After eating, I checked his temperature. After 3 minutes, it became 38.5 degrees. It lessened.

After drinking a glass of water he went to sleep again. He was sweating but he’s color was going back. He wasn’t that pale anymore but still not that well.

That was around 12:30pm when my mom and aunt Lisa came back.

“Here’s your lunch.” My mom gave me. It was ramen. Mmm.

Aunt Lisa touched his forehead. “Hm, it lessened. You can be a doctor someday.” My aunt smiled at me.

Doctor? Nah. I can’t touch needles. I’m afraid of them that’s why everytime there’s an injection for me scheduled, I would run away. Crying.

Leonard woke up again. This time, he was really really awake. He must have gotten tired of sleeping.

“You feeling alright, sweetie?” Aunt Lisa asked.

“Yeah..kind of..hungry.” He said.

“Here. Want some ramen? I’ll just get you another spoon.” I suggested.

“I just want a banana.” He said.

“You sure?” I asked.

“Yeah. I’m hungry but I’m not really in the mood for soup or anything.” Then I gave him a banana.

After that, his fever went up again. By that time aunt Lisa already went with mom to go swimming.

I was panicking ‘cause he was so pale again. Worse than before.

“Hey..” He called as loud as he can.

“Sapphire..” Then he pinched my cheeks.

“You..okay?” I asked.

“Yeah.” Then he hugged me. “Don’t go away..”

“I won’t.” I said.

“Never ever?” He asked.

“Are you really okay?” Then he looked at me for so long. I could feel his hot breathe. He was suffering..

“Sapphire..” He said again.

“Leonard..get some rest..you’re getting pale.” I pushed him down the bed.

“Don’t go..” He was crying..He must be crying in pain. What did I do? If I hadn’t became sad, he wouldn’t have invited me to that fireworks.

I gave a glass of water and he drank it.

“I’m sorry for ruining your vacation..you should be enjoying and right now..and you’re here..taking care of me..this means a lot to me..I’m sorry..for making you sacrifice..” He was coughing so much.

“Just get some sleep..please..you’re fever is getting higher..” I told him.

“I wanted to have a great vacation with you..and honestly..this was the best I ever had with you..and I know for you, it might be the worse because you had to take care of a sick guy like me..but you don’t need to do that..I made the choice..to take you around yesterday..I was the one who wanted to be with you more..It’s..not your..fault..” He coughed continuously. “Go have some fun..for me..” He pleaded.

Why do you want me to be happy all the time? Why can’t you think about yourself first before me?

“No. It’s really fine. If you get well now, we could have fun tomorrow. Just get some rest please?” Then he fell asleep.