Chapter 25: Is There A Way?

Dayne Clinton

Paralyzed? You have to be joking me?

“Well, her spinal cord was damaged because of the big impact of the metal part of the car plus the boxes. It isn’t broken or what, but a bit damaged. She’s still alive as of now. We’re going to do our best to make her okay again.”

“What are the possible solution to make her paralyzation go?” I asked.

“Therapies.” The nurse answered.

“We’ll do whatever it takes.” Suddenly a man answered, it was her dad with her family. This is embarrasing. Can I cover my face? Can I hide? This is too much.

Sapphire’s dad sat down beside me and asked me if I could retell him what had really happened. I explained to him what I could remember and what the people around me told me. He just nodded and tried to make everything go inside his head.

“Sigh..she’s so precious to me. You know that Dayne? I’m not angry with you. I can’t blame you for what happened. I just feel so..guilty. That I didn’t had so much time with her. I had been busy with only work and didn’t had time for the kids that much. She’s my only daughter. It hurts.” His dad said. I wanted to believe this was a nightmare; but it isn’t.

Her mom suddenly patted her husband. “The therapy costs about $1,250 every sessions.”

“Okay, I’d pay all that just for her to get well.” His dad said.

“I’ll pay too.” Dayne said.

“No..you don’t have to.” Her mom said.

“I will. It’s alright.”

Her parents talked with the doctor about the therapies. Her paralyzation was a bit minor. It wasn’t that major. She had 60% chance of living if we did the therapy and of course her parents agreed.

Sapphire was transferred to the other room and she’ll be staying there for about 6 months. So she’ll be missing the whole second quarter and half of the third quarter of the school year. I hope she’ll be able to attend the 4th quarter. She’ll be missing so much.

I decided to sleep there together with Leonard and Sapphire’s mom. The rest went home because someone still has to do the work at home to be able to pay the bills.

I couldn’t sleep and it was past 1am in the morning.

“Can’t sleep?” Leonard asked.

“Yeah, you?” I asked.

“Can’t. This is killing me.” Leonard answered.

“Same. I can’t even believe this is happening.” I answered.

“What happened to Sean by the way?” Leonard asked.

“I called my dad to pick him up.”

“Oh, you like Sapphire don’t you?”

“Me?” I answered.

“Who else could it be?” Leonard said.

“Well..” I said.

“I knew it. Why not tell her?” Leonard asked.

“I just can’t. It’s kind of personal.” I said and fell asleep.

Few hours later, it was finally morning. Still Sapphire’s eyes were still close. But breathing. It was around 8am when Felix came.

“What happened?” He asked.

Leonard told him the story.

And after that, he looked at me with anger.

“Why didn’t you protect her?!” He shouted.

“I didn’t know what would happen.” I calmy said.

“You didn’t know? Or you wanted this to happen to her?!” He shouted more.

“I didn’t know.” I said firmly.

“How could you don’t know if you saved yourself?! She saved your brother and you still had the guts to come here! You did it on purpose!” He shouted more and more loudly.

“He didn’t mean anything Felix.” Leonard said. “It was an accident.”

“How could he have saved himself?! She got paralyzed and he is all well!” Felix said.

“If I knew what would happen, do you think I would let her die?!” I shouted because of frustration.

“If you really cared, you’d protect her.” Then he walked out.