Poems - 71.

Chapter 71

"Oh, I don't want too!" Adria cringed, shaking her head furiously as she and Sirius sat crossed legged atop of her bed. In between them sat two perfectly straight Mandrake leaves, but both of them where equally as reluctant as each other to even think of putting it in their mouth.

It was June 11th, around a week after they had left Hogwarts for summer, and both Sirius and Adria thought that they shouldn't put off the mandrake leaf any longer, no matter how much neither of them wanted to do it, they knew it would be for good in the long run.

"How are we going to hide this from everyone?" asked Sirius, a wary look on his features at how large the leaf was, he hadn't thoroughly thought out how difficult it was going to be for both him and Adria to hide this from everyone, and neither did Adria.

"Well," Adria sighed, picking up the leaf that felt hard in her hands, "there was nothing in the books that said we couldn't fold them."

"Do you think it'll work."

She merely shrugged, running a hand through her hair, "I don't know," she whispered, shaking her head, "but we need to do this, Sirius, for Remus' sake we have to do this for him, he of all people deserves any help he can get and this is the only possible plan we have, we can't back down, we need to find away."

"You're right," Sirius nodded, bracing himself he picked up the second leaf, and without thinking of his actions, he folded it up as much as he could and stuffed it into the corner of his mouth. He cringed, almost coughing as the vile taste filled his mouth, mostly of the bitter taste of salt, but he was unsure why.

"Is it really that bad?" Adria asked, wincing slightly as she looked warily down at the leaf in her hands. She reluctantly folded it up, and instead of waiting for Sirius' answer, she closed her eyes tightly and popped the leaf into her mouth, "yes, it really is!" she squeaked, shaking her head furiously she wondered how she was going to get through the month.

"I'm sure the taste will go away," Sirius reassured, even though he didn't fully believe it himself. He let a sigh leave his lips as he pushed himself closer to Adria who was shaking her head at the taste that filled her mouth.

"It's so bad," she whispered, coughing slightly at the foul concoction of salt and dirt, "it's for Remus, it's for Remus, it's for Remus," she muttered repeatedly, allowing Sirius to pull her into his chest as they lay on her bed.

"Exactly, Ads, it's for Remus, our best friend who has spent almost all of his life in pain every month, giving himself scars that he doesn't deserve, going through the pain alone," Sirius mumbled into her ear, not in any attempt to feel guilty but rather to motivate her to push through the horrid taste, "think of baby Remus as a tiny little werewolf on his first transformation, scared and alone and in so much pain and how he wished that he had someone to endure it with, think of him scratching himself and bringing himself to tears because he's trapped in something so much bigger than him and he thinks he's never going to have anyone-"

"Where are you going with this because I'm going to start crying?" asked Adria, moving her head to look up at him.

"Now think of Remus next year," Sirius whispered, "he is going to be so much happier and brighter when he has company, when he has people to contain him and calm him, and even though he's not entirely on board with us doing this, we both know that he is so relieved. He won't have as much fresh scars anymore, he'll be scar free for the most part, because we'll be there for company."

Adria let a small smile fall on her lips at the thought of Remus happy and in a lot less pain, and she could already feel herself forgetting the leaf tucked into her cheek, "and don't forget that it'll be exciting seeing what animal we'll be," Sirius smirked, leaning down to kiss her forehead.