Death, Rebirth

Chapter 22: Death, Rebirth

Fionna's POV

I laid him on his bed and pulled out the stake. It was nearly midnight, but I have to do something to get him back.

"Cake, can we go to the Candy Kingdom?" I asked and Cake nodded.

When we arrived, two banana guards were sitting on the floor, napping.

"Hey Banana guards. Can you let us in?" I poked one of the banana guards' head and he woke up immediately.

"Oh hey Fionna...sure...." He said and dozed back to sleep again. I took the keys from his belt and opened the gates to the kingdom.

After we've reached the castle, the first thing I have to do is find Peppermint Maid. A few miutes later we found her bedroom and knocked on the door. She opened it and was rubbing her eyes.

"Well, hello Fionna and Cake." She said after yawning.

"Can you take us to Death please?" I asked and she opened her eyes widely.

"Why? " She asked.

"It's important. Please. " I begged her.

"Well,  you have to give me something in exchange for the portal to Death's kingdom." She said. "Perhaps some of your blood? I never needed your flesh. Just blood."

"Uh, ok." I said,confused. She took us to the corner of her bedroom wall and a portal appeared.

"Say hi to Death for me." She said and we stepped into the portal.

"I ain't gonna drink that river's water anymore, that kiss of death was nasty! And those skeletons, they're-" I cut off what Cake was saying.

"Cake, be serious." I said and we sneaked past the bird guard and started running toward the castle.

"Flesh! I hear flesh!" I heard a skeleton say and ran faster to the castle with Cake.

"Hey guys, check out that fleshy chick!" Another skeleton yelled and then a group of skeletons began to chase us. Cake put me on her back and ran faster, ditching all the skeletons.

Once we were in the castle, "Um...Death? Hello?" I called out and a bony female figure appeared before me.

"Oh it's you two. Hey kitty, came back for another kiss?" She said and smirked.

"Shut up!" Cake shouted.

"Peppermint Maid said hi." I said and she smiled happily. "Also, can you bring the dead back to life? Not just the skeleton, but the soul." I asked.

"Woah, what are you trying to say? You want me to bring back a dead person's soul and put it back?" She asked and I nodded.

Suddenly, she bursted out in laughter.

"Wh-What's so funny?" I said, a bit embarrassed.

"Honey, although you're friends with Peppermint Maid, you can't just ask anything from me, there is a price to pay." She said. "Did Peppermint Maid asked you for something in exchange to come here?" She asked and I nodded.

"Same thing here. Ok, to bring back the soul of the person you want to bring back, I want... your soul." She said and rubbed her hands together.

"What!? No Fionna, you can't!" Cake shouted and hugged onto my leg.

"Kitty, relax. I don't need it now, when she dies, her soul will come back to me. A soul for a soul." Death said like it was nothing and streched her hand out for me to shake it.

"Deal." I said and shaked her hand.

"Great, who's that person you want to bring back?" She asked and led me to a small water fountain with blue balls of light swimming inside.

"Marshall Lee, The Vampire King." I said and she reached hed hand into the water fountain and grabbed a blue shining ball.

"A soul for a soul, remember. " She said and blew the ball of light away. "It'll find its way back to the body. Now, go." Then two red beams of light shot out from her eyes and we were back home.

"What just happened." I said to myself and Cake crawled into her bed. I sneaked out of the house when it was 3 am and ran toward Marshall's house.

When I got there, I banged the door as hard as possible. "MARSHALL LEE, ARE YOU THERE?" I shouted.

Then Marshall appeared at the door with his axe bass in his hand. I couldn't believe he was actually here, alive.

"Is this a mirage..." I thought and poked his hand.

"Hey Fi." He said. It seemed like nothing ever happened.

"Don't you remember anything?" I asked him.

"Of course, I remember how you cried over my sexy dying body, then I woke up in my own bed afterwards." He said while smirking. I punched him in the face.

"What was that for Fi!?" He said while touching his cheek.

"How can you still think it's just a joke!? Can you be more serious!? Can you act like a normal person does!? When are you gonna be more mature? How would you react if I died!? Jerk! YOURE SUCH A JERK!" I said and tears poured down my face. He reached out and hugged me. I missed the feeling of his cool skin.

"I'm sorry Fi. I'm sorry." He said, realising his joke had gone too far. He lifted my head up with the tip of his finger.

"If you died, life would be meaningless to me, I'd probably find a wooden stake to stab myself. " He said, his red crimson orbs looking into my blue eyes. He leaned in close and gave me a small peck but I hugged his neck tightly and the kiss slowly turned into a passionate one.

Marshall wanted me to stay the night, and so I did.  "Hey Marsh?" I said while laying on his bed, looking at him. "Yea Fi?" "What if, you...turn me?" I asked, not looking into his eyes. "I won't do it, I can't do it. Taking life away from you hurts me just as much as seeing you die-" He paused for a few seconds. "When you cry over your dead relatives or friends, that would be all my fault."

"But don't you want us to be together?"

He didn't respond.

"Forever?"

"Let's talk about it some other time."

I nodded and closed my eyes.

"Sweet dreams, bunny."