pt 1

Their faces burned into my memory. They no longer represent all the good things in life but only serve as a reminder to what kind of monster i am. They yelled out, their voices hoarse, sweat dripping down their small faces, their eyes trembling with fear, their hands in the air, the one already set into flames. Fathers corpse turning to ashes right before my very eyes. The smell of burning human flesh filled the air. I can no longer dream, i can only replay those images in my head. I guess they'll continue replaying, until i no longer have what it takes to stay alive from the outside.

"Imy! Get out of bed already! You'll be late for the first day!" My mom's hurried tone came from the living room. When i got up and stretched a small blue bird perched itself on my window. I cocked my head to the side and slowly it turned to fly away, skimming the green leaves of the tree branch beside my open window. So i shuffled my way to the kitchen ," Don't forget to have breakfast!" Mom kissed me goodbye and ran out the door. Working as a nurse always kept her busy, maybe that's why she was still alright.

"Did she make something today?" I asked my step-dad, who was reading something on his phone as he sipped some coffee.

"Nope, you know it'd be a miracle if she did." Sighing i took out a cookie and dipped it into some milk. "Aren't you going to turn on the tv?" My step-dad got up from his seat and put the coffee cup in the sink. I shook my head. "Well alright but you look gloomy eating in silence like that. You have to look happy!" He laughed and opened the front door. It's been a year since he got together with my mom, since she got a promotion. He should be used to me by now.

"Why?"

"It's your first day and remember, this is almost the middle of the year. So it may be hard to make friends, either way smile!" He closed the door behind him as he headed to his office in Manhattan. Leaving alone in the silent room.