Chapter 7

Claire

Crying had seriously helped me. I felt like a weight had been lifted off of my shoulders and my heart felt so much lighter, and suddenly I was back to my old self. After my break down the day before, I felt like I had bounced back.

Basically strutting through the hallways, I made my way to the cafeteria to hang out with my clique. As I walked, I held my head high and glanced at the cute boys that had their eyes on me. Shooting them flirtatious looks, I knew I was back. Carter meant nothing to me anymore.

Reaching the doors that led to the cafeteria, I threw them open and walked over to my table. Tori and Maya grinned at me, probably noticing I had dressed extremely nice because I wasn't going to let any boy ruin my confidence. I was going to look good and not care if he didn't want me back.

"Well, I'm back," I said, smiling as I sat down at the table.

"We're really glad you are," Maya said, smiling at me.

"You look hot," Jake said bluntly, leaving Tori groaning.

"Shut up you pig," Tori told Jake. "Claire is beautiful, not hot. Got that."

Jake rolled his eyes. "Same thing."

Tori and Jake began to argue and I listened to them and laughed. They acted like they hated each other, but I had a feeling they secretly had feelings for each other. Their arguments were their own weird way of expressing their feelings and I wondered when either of them would finally just confess how they really felt.

Everyone began to talk about random things and I listened. I added my input sometimes, but there was something at the back of my mind. That something was Carter and I found myself wanting to look at him. It was such a horrible habit and I kept telling myself to focus on my friends and forget about him. But, I just couldn't. After having a crush on him for three years, I just couldn't let him go that easily and I hated myself for that.

Eventually, I found my eyes drifting to Carter's table. I knew it was a bad idea and I knew I shouldn't be thinking about him at all, but I just couldn't help it. My habit of staring at him was a bad habit I knew I couldn't just break overnight.

When my eyes landed on him, I found my heart dropping. As I watched him laugh, smile, and look gorgeous, I found my heart breaking all over again. I couldn't believe I could never have him. I couldn't believe he liked my sister. It was just so horrible and I found myself tearing up once again. Feeling stupid for that, I suddenly stood up, making everyone at the table look at me.

"I'm sorry," I said, staring at the ground so they wouldn't see the tears in my eyes. "I need to leave."

I didn't wait for them to respond. Whirling around, I fled the cafeteria with my head held low. All of my confidence had vanished as I quickly walked through the empty hallways, wondering where I would go.

"Claire!" I heard Ryder suddenly shout, surprising me.

I suddenly felt a hand wrap around my wrist gently, surprising me once again. Stopping in my spot, I didn't know what to say or do. I wanted to be alone, but a part of me was really surprised that Ryder had followed me. None of the others would have ever done that.

"Listen to me," he said gently. "I have something to tell you."

Turning around slowly, I looked up and stared at his warm, brown eyes. His eyes were full of so many different emotions and I didn't know how to describe them.

"I know you're upset about Carter and I'm really sorry to hear that he likes another girl," Ryder said, his hand still wrapped around my wrist. "But you're incredible. Any guy would be lucky to have you, so don't give up on Carter. If you really like him, you shouldn't just forget about him because he likes some other girl."

Staring at Ryder, I found my eyes widening at his words. I had never expected him to say such sweet words. Actually, I had never thought a guy could be so sweet. Blushing slightly, I found myself becoming motivated.

"Show him your amazing personality, your beautiful smile, and just how fun you are," Ryder said, smiling. "He'll definitely be yours in no time."

I found myself smiling at his words. They really cheered me up and my eyes softened. No one had comforted me ever since I found out about Carter's feelings. Tori had told me to get over Carter, Maya had told me that I could do better, and Jake didn't care at all. Ryder was the only one who comforted me and made me feel better, and I was really thankful.

"Thank you," I said, smile growing. "I'll do what you said. I will make Carter mine. Seriously, thank you Ryder."

Ryder grinned and I found myself growing happy. I had never thought about fighting for Carter. Ever since I heard he liked Blair, I had just been heart broken, thinking he would never be mine. But, maybe he could be mine. Maybe if I tried to actually pursue him, Carter would fall for me. Thinking about that, I grew really hopeful.

"You will make Carter yours," Ryder said, ruffling my hair suddenly. "He would be an idiot not to fall for you."

My heart felt warm at his words. Without thinking twice, I threw my arms around Ryder's neck and I hugged him tightly. He hugged me back and closing my eyes, I felt so much better. I no longer felt like crying and it was all thanks to Ryder.

"Thank you so much," I said. "You're the best."

"I know," Ryder joked, causing me to roll my eyes.

Smiling once again, I thought about what I would do. I really wasn't sure if I would win Carter's heart, but I knew I had to try. After spending three years liking him but not pursing him, I knew for my final year in high school I should. No matter the outcome, at least I would know I did the best I could.