Chapter 3

Claire

I sat in the cafeteria with my clique. They were all arguing over something, speaking too loudly so that others in the cafeteria would listen in and be entertained. Usually I would have joined in on their argument eagerly, wanting some attention on me as well, but my eyes were too busy watching someone else to argue. That someone was Carter, and I found myself longing him as I watched him stand at his usual table and talk about something excitedly.

Honestly, I didn't know why I fell for him. It had happened in the ninth grade when I went to one of his games because Tori had a crush on the captain. I had went, bored and not expecting much, but when my eyes landed on Carter who was sweating and looking gorgeous as he grinned at the crowd, I felt something that I had never felt with the other boys I used to crush on. It was a tightening of my heart, a warm feeling in my stomach, and after that moment I found myself watching him as he played. From that moment on, I had been totally in love wtih him.

"Someone can't seem to keep their eyes off of Carter," Tori said, her voice full of teasing.

Blushing, I forced myself to look away and look at Tori. She was smirking and Maya was smiling. Jake looked bored and Ryder, to my surprise, looked away when I tried to look at him. I wondered why, but I decided to forget about it and I brought my attention back to Tori.

"I really like him," I said, sighing. "Why doesn't he ever hit on me? Like everyone wants to be with me but him. It's frustrating."

"Claire, it's the twenty-first century. Girls can make the first move too, you know," Maya said. "Why don't you go over to him and ask him on a date? Anyone would be thrilled to date you, so you don't need to worry about rejection."

"Exactly Claire," Tori said. "This is our last year of high school. Don't waste it wondering what it would be like to be with Carter. Be with him."

"I don't know." My cheeks reddened. "I really like him and... What if he does reject me? I'll be so hurt."

"Any sane guy would never reject you," Ryder said, surprising me. "Don't worry Claire. He'll say yes and you guys can live happily ever after."

Surprised by Ryder's sweet words, I stared at him for a moment. He was smiling at me, seeming to encourage me, and I found myself smiling back. If a guy thought I had nothing to lose, maybe I didn't. Maybe I shouldn't waste another moment and just go to Carter and ask him out.

"You guys are right," I confessed, smiling. "Why should I waste another second wishing Carter was my boyfriend? I should go over to him and make him my boyfriend."

"Exactly!" Tori exclaimed, grinning. "You go girl."

I laughed lightly and got up. Straightening out my outfit, I found my heart racing. Honestly, I was terrified. Because I liked Carter so much, I was so scared of him breaking my heart. But with Ryder's words fresh in my mind, I told myself to stay calm and be confident because Carter wouldn't dare reject me.

Turning around to go to Carter, I stopped in my spot when I saw that Carter was moving to stand on his table. With a frown, I wondered what he was doing as he stood up proudly on the cafeteria table, eyes searching for something. And when his eyes sparked at the sight of what he seemed to be looking for, he began to shout.

"Listen here everyone!" Carter shouted, still staring at the same person. "I have an announcement to make."

Because Carter was one of the most popular guys in our school, the cafeteria went silent. All eyes were on him and I found myself wondering what his eyes were on. So following his gaze, my own eyes flew wide when I saw that he was staring at Blair who looked scarily pale. She was staring back at Carter, frozen in her spot.

"I, Carter Williams, am in love with Blair Davis," Carter announced, causing many people to gasp - including me. "I am totally in love with you Blair, and my goal is to make you mine this year."

I had never understood why people said their hearts dropped, but I understood at that moment as my heart grew so heavy with pain that it felt like it was on the ground, shattered. Unable to believe his words I stared at him, wishing I was having a nightmare. I really wanted it to be a nightmare because how could the guy I was in love with for three years be in love with my sister.

Slowly, my eyes went to Blair as I wondered what her reaction was. Blair's eyes were so wide. Her skin was so pale. And before I knew it, she was whirling around and racing out of the cafeteria with everyone's eyes on her. Usually I would've felt sorry for her since I knew how much she hated attention, but with the news I'd just received I couldn't be. I couldn't even think of my sister when my heart felt like it was broken.

My eyes went back to Carter who looked pained. He hopped off the table, staring longingly at the doors that Blair left through. Carter looked so in love, I realized. It was written across his face so clearly that I had to look away because it hurt. It hurt so much that I found myself falling to sit back at my table.

"I'm sorry Claire," Tori said, going to my side. "Boys are stupid. Whatever, you can do better than Carter. You don't need someone-"

"I don't want to talk about it," I said, forcing the words out of my constricted throat. "Please."

Tori nodded, her eyes full of pity. I looked away and told myself that I was okay. Repeatedly, in my mind, I told myself that he was just some guy. I could get any guy, so he didn't matter. He had to not matter actually because with my heart already so broken by him, I couldn't imagine what he would do if I held onto my feelings for him.