Chapter 26

Dani's POV

I looked in the mirror as Esmerelda closed the door behind us. My hair was a mess and I felt slimy all the way around thanks to the mixture of chili cheese and I think...barbecue sauce? Ugh, it was a disaster, but I couldn't help laughing. I turned around to thank Esmy and noticed her stareing at me intently with a smile.

"You've always made him happy.", she said, "Ever since you were both little kids, you've always been the key."

"The key?"

"You don't remember how you met, do you?"

I thought this over, and now that I think of it, I didn't know how me and Jordan had met. I shook my head slowly.

"You don't remember how you found him?"

Again, I shook my head. Esmy sighed and flipped the toilet seat down, motioning me to sit on it. I sat slowly and watched as she took a wet rag and cleaned my face.

"I only remember because his mother told me the first day you both came here. She told me about how Jordan's grandmother had recently passed away and how he was a mess. He took refuge in playing his guitar. He was the most talented little boy I knew! Anyway, he had been sitting outside his house crying because of his grandmother. He missed her so much because they had been so close and after her death, Jordan became almost like a zombie. All he did was sleep and cry. He hardly ate anything and didn't talk to anyone. But on this day, something special happened; you came along. I think you had been trying to ride a bike if I remember correctly."

I laughed quiety to myself as thought of how that must've looked. I had no balance at all.

"Dani..." She said shaking her head. "Had Jordan not helped you, you wouldv'e gone and broken something."

At that moment, something clicked inside my head. I started to remember how Jordan had stopped me and made me put on my helmet that was wrapped around my bike handle. He claimed that if I did'nt, I'd crack my head on the street. I really didn't want to because I thought it was for babies, but Jordan convinced me otherwise. Then, after watching me try to ride my bike miserably, he helped and taught me how to ride it. Ever since then, we had been really good friends.

"I remember..." I said quietly.

Esmerelda looked at me and smiled. "You were always the thing that made him most happy."

We sat in silence as she finished cleaning me up and we both jumped when someone knocked on the door.

"You're all clean now, you can go on back to your "date"." I turned and glared at her accusingly which she returned with a mock look of innocence. "Oh! Did I say date? It must've just slipped out..."

"It's not a date." I told her and turned to leave.

"It's a date..." she whispered.