Chapter 24

Jordan's POV

I skidded across the street, wanting to hurry up and leave without anyone following us. I saw Dani jerk forward and threw my arm forward, holding her back. I looked over to make sure she was ok and saw her laughing. She looked at me and started laughing harder. "Are we actually running away?!" she laughed.

"Eh, why not?"

As the laughter died down, she turned towards me, stareing me dead in the eye.

"This won't last long, will it?"

"It'll last as long as we want it to." I told her reassuringly. A little while later, we swerved to a stop at a small diner just outside of our neighborhood.. As I turned off the car, I asked, "I'm guessing you're hungry.". She smiled at me and nodded. "Well, let's go then!" I took her and and we walked into the empty building, not careing about all the worries in the world that were built up on our shoulders. We sat down at a booth, and I waved down a familiar waitress. She was short with a few wrinkles covering her face and had milky blue eyes. I'd known her since I was young, and she had worked here most of her life. When me and Dani were younger, I introduced them. Back then, we weren't as good of friends, but we were still friends. I wondered if she'd remember. The woman came over almost instantly, leaving the couple she was talking to behind. "Jordy? Is that you?" Her eyes were starting to crinkle at the corners as her smile grew wider. I stood up from my seat to give her a hug and smiled too. I hadn't seen her ever since the first year of middle school. I didn't know why I stopped coming; I guess I just got caught up in being "busy". "Of course it's me! How have you been?"

"Oh My! It is you! I've missed you! I'm good, but I can't beleive you left me here to do all this work on my own! I really needed my designated dishwasher."

I smiled to myself, remmembering all the times i almost flooded the diner's kitchen trying to do the dishes.

"I've missed you too. I'm really sorry I haven't come by in a while."

"No, no, it's okay. Don't worry about it. I'm just happy to see you. Who's this?" She asked, waggiling her eyebrows suggestively. I shook my head and introduced Dani.

"This is Dani, my bestfriend. You remember her don't you?"

"Dani...Dani..I remember that name..."

"Dani? Do you remember?" I asked Dani. Her face was scrunched up as she tried to think. After a few more moments, both the waitress and Dani's eyes lit up. It was really funny actually, how they remembered at the same time.

"Esmerelda?!  Oh my Gosh! Of Course I remember!"

"Dani! Oh my! You've grown so much; you both have!"

I looked at both of them and laughed at how excited they looked.

"Soo.." Esmerelda began, "Are you two...you know..." She pointed between the two of us and looked genuinley curious. "Because I remember when you first brought Dani here. You looked at her like she was the most important thing in the world. She was on a pedastal anytime you were anywhere near her."

I saw Dani blush a slight pink and I suddenly found great interest in my shoes.

"Umm...No, Esmerelda. We aren't together. We're best friends." Dani answered.

"Oh...well, you know what they say..."

Me and Dani looked at her, urging her to go on.

She looked at us both again before answering.

"A guy and a girl can be just friends, but at one point or another they will fall for eachother. Maybe temporarily, maybe at the wrong time, mabye too late, or maybe forever."

With that she scurried back into the kitchen, leaving me and Dani completely dumbfounded