☆16

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

Leaves seem to have awoken, flying about, before the harsh, cold winter would embrace and then claim them,
as I hurry, box in hand to find Luna.

It's her birthday and so I have the couple of hours ahead of us planned out.

I smile as I see her waiting and grip the box a little tighter.

"Happy Birthday Luna!", I exclaim as I reach her.

"Thanks Rafael," she returns the smile.

I pass her the box and watch her fumble with the silver ribbon, before removing the lid.

"Oh my, Rafael why?," but I can see the smile on her face widening.

She suddenly hugs me and I grin.

Guess it pays to observe I think to myself. Luna obviously liked the dress.

"I'll wear it tomorrow", she states.

She puts it back into the box as I give her a outline of my plan.

We walk side by side as I lead the way to a small cafe.

I look around, my world is painted red and orange, gold and browns.

I catch the scent of cinnamon drifting through the air as we get closer and we walk in as I lead the way.

Sitting down at a table with menus, we both flick through.

We both go for sandwhiches and drink. Luna going for tropical juice,  whilst I choose pineapple.

We talk about small things and Luna has thanked me about fifty times already.

As the food is bought to our tables, we savour each bite and sip.

I glance outside, the sky has turned dark and I can't see much of the outside from the window.

As we finish off, I get up to pay the money before we walk back out.

We head past another shop and I ask Luna to wait outside a few minutes as I go in.

Coming back out with a carrier bag I see Luna leaning by the lampost.

She looks at me, her eyes glimmering - the colour of emerald, sparkling in the light.

"What's in there?," she asks.

"Just a...umm...some food to stock up at home."

She nods and we walk to the field once more.

Looking at the sky now I see stars covering the world above like freckles sprinkled around.

We sit besides the tree and as Luna is focused looking above I take out the box from the bag.

I open it revealing a small cake with three words written. "Happy Birthday Luna."

I take out the one candle from my pocket and put it in the centre just as Luna looks over at me.

"Omg why?"

"I like cake ok," I smirk.

She she just smiles shaking her head as I take out the lighter, the flame flickering to life in the dark.

"Flames are beautiful you know."

I look at the flame which dances and leaps into the air. "I know," I whisper.

Getting the disposable knife I pass it to Luna and she cuts the cake, the knife slicing through the cream and sponge layer as she blows the candle making a wish.

There's a million things she could be wishing for I think to myself.

I get the 2 plates and spoons from the bag and cut both of us a slice.

We both sit there for a while, leaning against the tree, sitting in silence and eating cake as the time ticks away.

"Thanks Rafael," Luna says after a while and I smile up at the sky, hoping many days like this are to come.