Chapter 26

[Selene]

So this is what princesses feel like when their prince charming saves them. Completely swooped off of their feet, fleeting, in admiration. Except Lucca is nothing close to what anyone would expect a prince should be. He was literally a beast and I am no were near a classic fairytale beauty.

I swear, if anyone forced me into a dress I would kill them.

It only took us half an hour to reach familiar woods. Not once did Lucca put me down, or consider the company we traveled with. I had to remind him not once, but twice to slow down for the others to catch up. He was traveling inhumanly possible.

“I want to get you safely tucked away as soon as possible.” He sounded aggravated when he said it. If it weren’t for the fact that he treats me like a prized possession, I would’ve thought his affection was admirable.

“And where would you put me?” I frowned at him. He looked astounded by my expression. The stubborn man didn’t expect me to challenge him.

Only I knew what that rigid form across his jaw meant. I’ve been accustomed to it since the first day we made eyes contact.

He avoided my gaze. “Near me, away from everyone else…I don’t know Selene, but if you ever leave me again I think I’m going to go insane! It took all I had not to let my wolf out and rip off everyone’s heads!”

My mouth dropped at the words that came out of his mouth. Behind him dad nearly tripped on his feet, but recovered before almost sending the human he had over his shoulder to the ground. Our eyes connected for a quick second and I swear I just saw a grin on his face!

Next to him, Nathan was unyielding trying not to let out his laugh.

“Oh,” was the only brilliant think I could say.

“Yeah,” Lucca sighed frustrated.

This was completely awkward for the both of us.

To avoid awkwardness I kept my attention on Alpha Peyton’s unnamed babe in my arms and was grateful he was asleep.

We made it to the pack house, or rather what remained of it. The building was still standing but it had totally lost its magnificence. The walls were either destroyed, or reduced to ash and all the windows were smashed open.

I noticed all the men sitting around or working were all of Lucca’s pack. “Alpha Lucca you’re back!” Someone exclaimed and all heads turned towards our direction.

Marc made his way shoving past the gathering crowed. “Move aside.” He yelled. “You,” he pointed nastily at Lucca. “This is all your fault.”

“Not now Marc, I can’t deal with you right now.”

Marc snorted. “Like you can’t deal with your pack? You just mysteriously left without informing any of them!”

“I informed Alpha Soren.”

“But you should have told your pack first! That’s very un-Alpha of you I might point out.” The snarky smile on his face made me want to slap the old scrooge. Marc noticed me and redirected his blaming finger in me. “You went looking for her, didn’t you? Blinded by puppy love, were you?” He smirked, all-knowingly.

It was like he was looking for the last strike to strip Lucca of his Alpha position.

“Lucca.” Alpha Soren pulled Marc roughly behind him and looked at Lucca hopefully, before tearing up at the sight of his son in my arms. Without hesitation, I handed his baby to him and he carefully transferred the fragile form into his arms. Lucca reluctantly put me on my feet. Alpha Soren charged straight to his mate as soon as he saw her in Nathan’s arms.