Chapter 29

[Selene]

I never thought I'd ever hear that name mentioned ever again.

She is alive. My mother--no--the woman who brought me into this world is out there living blissfully, with a husband and two children.

I have half-siblings.

My stomach knotted. Dad!

I snapped my head to the direction of my father and my heart broke. He was braking again, by the same woman who ran away with his heart and happiness. Body rigid and nearly close to collapsing, dad ran his hands through his hair and clasped both behind his neck, staring at the ground.

"Richard," Derrick spoke again. He reached out his hand and was just about to touch dad's shoulder.

I placed myself between them. "Sir, if I may, can I please have a private moment with my father?" He looked at my curiously, but nodded his head.

"Of course."

"Selene" Lucca registered my discomposure and concern grew hard on his face, but I placed a hand over his chest to stop him from further concern.

"Please Lucca, I want to talk with my dad...will you allow me that?" I pleaded with him. I would have never done that before, but at this point pride was of no concern.

"Alright." He said flatly and motioned to Derrick. "Let's give them their privacy." Giving me one last glance, Lucca gave me a look--a look that meant he wasn't going be far. Derrick strode after him.

"Dad, are you okay?" I looked up at him. He was a good head taller than me.

His eyes were shut and like always he hid his feelings well, behind that cold facade. Placing my hand on the thick surface of his shoulder, I attempted to comfort him. Not a word was uttered between us and I knew a conversation was not likely to happen; yet having just the two of us together during this most shocking news was relieving.

"Selene," he said softly.

"Yeah dad."

"I'm glad I still have you."

I didn't even hear myself chock. My throat constricted as I held back the tears threatening to spill past my lower eyelid. I rested my forehead on my dad's shoulder. I hesitated to hug him, but I desperately wanted to.

"I'll never leave you." I promised him.

When I felt his hand clasp the back of my head in an awkward attempt to show his affection, I stiffened in surprise. Then the unexpected happened, he wrapped his other hand over my shoulders and brought us close together. It wasn't really a hug, but I took what I could get. I grinned against my dad's side.

"I don't think Lucca would like that." He laughed dryly.

"He'll get over it."

"Do me a favor." He said in a hushed tone. His eyes darted back and forth making sure no one was eavesdropping. "They have no knowledge of your maternal status and I'd like it to stay that way. There are some cases were widowed wolves can re-mate and I'm guessing since they haven't asked, that's how they think you were born. If anyone asks, your mother was a werewolf."

The fear that had always haunted me was suddenly close to reality. If I wasn't careful, or if my lineage would be accidentally reveled, my life would be over. Or worse, they would take me away from Lucca.

"Are you sure they don't already suspect?"

Whoever these councilmen were, I had a feeling they wouldn't take me easy for being a girl.