Chapter 6

[Selene]

“This is usually were the boys relax after a day with your father.”

I could tell by the stinky smell in the room.  

“They go straight here without freshening up?” I asked scanning the large space that looked like a tornado just ran through its path. Jackets, sweaters, sweatpants, sneakers, and even dirty socks were scattered all over the floor. By the 75 inch plasma screen, there were piles of empty pizza boxes and cans of what I hoped was soda.

“You know how boys are…” Luisa sighed.

I shook my head, “No, not really.”

She looked at me surprised, “Your father really did isolate you from the world, didn’t he?” I didn’t comment. “It’s kind of a surprise being that he was so social before…before he walked out on the pack.”

“Dad was social?” That’s a surprise.

She smiled, walking over to the stack of mess and took a couple of sweaters draping them on her arm. “He used to always laugh at everything, then one day he started to close out on the pack and one day he just disappeared not wanting to be found.”

When he meet my mom

“Can you help me clean this up?” She asked.

I nodded. “What was my dad like before?” This was my only chance at gathering information now that the topic was out in the open.

She chuckled, “He was like my husband’s younger brother, but they weren’t closely related. They grew up together and since they were only a year apart, they treated each other like equals. Your father used to pull pranks on us, while my husband and I were dating. I think it was his way of revenge on me for taking his partner in crime. It’s too bad I couldn’t do the same when he found his mate—by the way, if you don’t mind me asking, who is your mother?”

There was a hopeful look in her face when she asked. She’s probably hoping I will say something spectacular; that my mom was an amazing person and out of this world the most loving person you’d meet, but that was an overstatement.

“I do mind…sorry, I don’t like talking about my mom. She moved on to a better place when I was young.” That wasn’t a lie. She really did move on to a better life—away from me.

Alpha Luisa frowned and before I knew it she had her arms around me in seconds, cutting off my air way.

“Choke—

She pulled away just as I was about to finish that one word, “Opps, sorry. I tend to hug people a lot. I guess it’s because since my husband—when he passed, everyone thought hugs were what I needed; I assumed you needed one too.”

Don’t cry, Selene! I’ve never cried in a long time and I wasn’t about to start now. No one’s ever made me feel this emotional before and her hug tightened ever muscle in my body; I thought my heart stopped betting from the shock of it.

“Umm…thanks.” I responded awkwardly.

“You poor dear, losing your mother at such a young age. How old were you?”

She’s so full of questions.

“I was young.” She eyed me blankly as if trying to figure out a complex puzzle. As if noticing my discomfort, she thankfully changed the topic, “Let’s clean this out the best we can and get their food prepared.”

“Why can’t we just clear the whole room?” I asked noticing how she piled some trash into gigantic plastic bags at the side of the room.

“I’ll have that done later. What’s the point of doing that when the room will be dirty in a matter of minutes?” She groaned, bending over to pick up a fallen pizza box that opened face down. She groaned louder when she saw the tomato sauce stained carpet. “I’m going to make them scrub every inch of this room if they continue to stain my floor!”