Chapter 17

[Lucca]

The sun was starting to set; it was around 7:30 in the evening. The men scattered across the forest like large ants.

Which one of them was the Hunter?

Alpha Soren must have chosen the five from observation. He could have picked the toughest looking of my men, but then he knew we would expect that.

I looked at Jerome. He was stood stiffly on his feet glaring at anyone who would step one meter near him. He couldn’t possibly be one of the five, because he was my usual right hand man. Alpha Soren would know that he would do anything to help me pass this examination, despite orders.

"We will split into groups from here. There are seventy-five of you in total, therefore 25 in each group. Nine elders; three will be in each group." Alpha Soren raised his head and sniffed the air. "It won't rain tonight, but on the second day it will. I hope you all know how to survive in the woods without your wolves."

"Without our wolves?" Marc sounded like he was prepared for days of outdoor activity.

Alpha Soren nodded. "Our wolves are instinctive, they can survive in this type of environment. Our human side however, lacks the primary survival skills. I want to know how will all of you cope."

I smiled at this. My men and I have practiced outside everyday. Grant also trained them how to move swiftly through the trees without making a sound and it was my brilliant yet evil idea to deceased the temperature in our house so that they would be used to cold temperatures. My dad never thought of that (because it was kind of stupid) but right now, I can say it worked out well. 

"We can deal with it." I heard Marina whisper support to the 7 other elders who looked reluctant. 

"It's not required for you to be here. If you ever feel the need, just say the word and we will help in anyway we can. We won't mind slowing down." Alpha Soren said, lightly trying not to offend Marina or the other elder's feelings.

"You're too kind, Alpha Soren, but don't underestimate us. We still have kick in our bones. Besides...we don't want to hinder you." She told him. 

I shook my head and stood next to Alpha Soren. "No one is a hindrance here. We travel as a pack and we take care of each other like a family. Didn't my father always say that?"

The corner of her wrinkled lips lifted up. "I think he did."

Marc brushed passed her and centered him in the group. "That doesn't pertain to the situation right now. There are five traitors--

"Hunters...not traitors." Grant corrected him. "And they were asked to play the part. In the end, we are still a pack no matter the Alpha who leads us." His gaze landed on me. "Alpha Lucca, your father used to tell me how proud he was of you. I wanted you to know that." 

This may sound corny, but I think Richard Grant and I just had a father-in-law/son-in-law moment right there. 

[Selene]

Beta Luca made himself at home inside the house, it almost looked like he lived here.

“Would you like something to eat?” I heard Luisa ask Peyton who seemed to enjoy looking through the house.

“Thanks, if it won’t be any trouble, do you have any chicken here? I’m kind of craving some.” She blushed. “I can cook it myself, if you would show me the way to the kitchen.”

Luisa shook her head. “It’s not a problem at all dear. I understand how much an Alpha baby can eat. Been there, done that!” She chuckled.

Peyton laughed along with her. “This one is a lot more wilder than the other pups I’ve had. Oh…!” She grabbed her stomach and steadied herself using the wall.