Chapter 20

[Lucca]

The second day, nothing happened and I was becoming paranoid by the minute. All of us were on edge; we barely slept and we hunted in our wolf forms to not risk blowing our cover. We were discreet about covering our tracks and scents, yet my instincts kept telling me we were not alone.

"Why don't we scale up the mountain top and hide there?" Jerome suggested. 

"Wolves don't hide. We are predators that top the food chain." One of the elders exclaimed. 

"Jerome, you need to keep your mouth closed, before I decide to leave you here on your own." I warned him. 

"Are you threatening me, Alpha?" He took a step closer to me and we were almost a foot apart.

"What is wrong with you? Why are you acting this way?" Lionel quickly jumped between us thinking we were going to go at each other's necks. 

I grabbed his shoulder softly and pulled him aside.

"I've got it under control.”

Without further complaint, he leveled his head to the ground. 

Jerome let out an arrogant smirk. "Seems like you two are buddy-buddy. Are you going to make him your new Beta next?"

Was he serious right now? No oneexpected this coming from him and almost all of us dropped our mouths in utter disbelief.

"This is not the right time and place for this conversation. We will talk when we get back." I told him narrowing my gaze to make sure he understood clearly. 

"No, we will deal with this now!" My back was to him, so he took that opening to kick me behind the knee, causing my leg to gave way. I ungracefully landed on the dirt on my hands and knees. 

"Jerome, what are you doing?" 

Echoes of protest came from the large group.

"Look at you...licking the floor." He circled me and kicked dirt on my face with the side of his foot.

Growls emitted around us. 

"My uncle was right about you. You hide behind the pack like a scared little puppy."

Five of the elders stood together watching the episode unfold taking note of the situation. They weren't going to involve themselves in this mess, as I assume, but they were going to watch how I addressed the problem. 

This feels like Alpha training with my father all over again. Dad used to watch me like a hawk during my alpha trraining and he would comment about every little thing I did wrong. 

"Uncle?" 

Jerome's father was Devon, my dad's third in command after Richard Grant left. I don't remember anyone else in Jerome’s family residing in our pack besides his mother. Everyone usually treated one another like extended family. 

"The annoyingly loud man earlier." He clarified. 

"Marc is your uncle?" My voice sounded more surprised than I intended.

No wonder they both had loud mouths.

"Sad to say, but yes...that old fart is my dad's half-brother. And before you ask, he's his half brother because my dad's mother died and his father remarried another she-wolf that was widowed--it's complicated." 

"Are we not friends?" 

I asked him, but the look on his face already told me his answer.

"What kind of friend makes a promise and breaks it? You said I could be your Beta, then your father passed away, you gave the position to Richard Grant! My father said he was a coward for running away! It was supposed to be me in his place. I was supposed to be your backbone, your right hand man, but instead you confined in him, that traitor, your plans!"