Chapter 10

[Selene]

I took a small step to the side just enough to give myself breathing space, but then a forceful hand tugged my shirt, yanking me back to the stubborn ass that kept me at his side. The men, taking turns punching each other, would take a moment to snicker every time I attempted to move away from Lucca. Dad would just completely ignore everything as if his only child--only daughter--wasn't being manhandled by a overbearing self-centered Alpha. 

This dude claims to be my mate… 

How can he be my mate? Aren't mates supposed to know instantly that they are meant for each other; or that's what I've read in human fantasy novels. I've never actually asked dad about this stuff--it's too embarrassing. 

"Will you stop trying to run from me?" Lucca ordered me like some child. His grip was now around my waist and the close intimacy was making me rather uneasy. 

"I would like you to stop thrusting me to your hip." I retorted.

"That's what she said." One of the guys yelled and most of the men started laughing.

I looked at them utterly confused as to why that was funny. Dad rolled his eyes and barked them an order, " Another word from any of you and we won't go home until the sun sets." The guys immediately return to punching each other’s faces and I mentally thanked dad, even though his intent wasn't for my benefit. 

Lucca stood across the field, directly facing my dad. Not once did he allow us to stand near him, as if keeping me at a safe distance from the very man who raised me. Either, he was afraid I would run back to my dad or dad would take me under his nose and escape territory for good.

"Can I at least sit down?" I complained.

This was nonsense! I was starting to think living as a rogue, was much better than a pack.

He looked at me for a brief second and nodded his head.

I can't believe I had to ask for his permission. 

"You can sit right here." He pointed at his foot.

What the hell?! Is he shitting me?

"I am--

"Lucca, we have unexpected visitors." Luisa appeared out of nowhere short out of breath. I never thought I’d see a day were Luisa looked so encompassed. Strands of her hair was sticking to her forehead with sweat and she looked flushed from running.

Lucca's eyes widened and I knew right then that something was going to happen. My wolf stirred inside me concerned about something and when I looked at the panicked expression on Lucca's face, that feeling doubled. 

I think his wolf was affecting my own.

That has never happened to me before. 

"Who is it? Is it one of them or..." Lucca talked so fast, he was actually stuttering. 

Luisa let out one last long breath and closed her eyes as she answered him. "The Alpha".

Immediately, the whole field of men stopped what they were doing and listened in. Dad walked across the grounds and the bodies made way for him like he had parted the sea. Lucca wasn't interested in my father anymore, when he stood between us.

Whoever this Alpha was, he was someone Lucca was scared of--my dad as well. 

“Selene” Dad took my wrist and I felt them cold and moist.

I looked into his eyes and saw fear. The type of fear that made chills run down my arms and my heartbeat 100 beats a minute.

“Dad” I replied concerned.