Chapter Three

Chapter Three

Nerves built up, my stomach fluttering all morning as I played every possible situation that could take place when I see Diego. Everything that I thought of ended badly. I attempted to distract myself while at work, picking up various books to read but each time my mind drifted right back to him. I’d never really gotten over him and even now…I could have feelings for him. My heart always picked up its pace when thinking of him.

“Babe, are you alright?” Bruna asked me, her grey eyes portraying deep concern. She worked with me at the book shop every Wednesdays, making the usual boring day much more entertaining. She always fills me in with the latest gossip, but how she knows so much I will never know.

“Yeah, I’m fine. Just a little nervous,” I replied, placing my elbows on the counter just behind the cashier and rested my chin on my hands. There was nothing more to explain to her; she already knows the details about Diego and the text and also about the meeting.

“It’s going to be fine, just don’t lead him on,” she reassured me, repeating herself for the fifth time. Her skinny fingers wrapped around my arm, her finely manicured nails digging into my skin in the process, as she pulled me towards her and enveloped me into a tight hug.

“It’s not that simple.” One thing I hadn’t told her are the feelings that remain in me. I don’t think seeing him would relieve me of these feelings. I could possibly still love him.  

“Oh, it’s almost twelve. You better head to the park then.” She glanced down at her wrist watch, her sandy blonde hair falling over her face. “Are you sure you’ll be alright alone? I could come with you if you want.”

“No, it’s fine. I guess I have to do this alone,” I sighed, giving her one last hug before exiting the shop and left Bruna to look after it.

It was only a three minute walk to the park from work so thinking of a last minute thorough plan wasn’t an option since within two blinks I was already at the entrance of the park. I paused by the gate, taking two deep breaths before marching with intention towards the particular bench we agreed to be our meeting spot.

As I approached this spot I noticed Diego was already seated on the bench, his hair glowing a golden brown from the gleam of the sun even though it is usually a darker brown. His hazel eyes lit when he spotted me and he stood up, his body towering over mine.

“Emma,” he smiled, shuffling over to me. I froze and moved out the way just as he was about to hug me.

“Don’t touch me!” I said sternly (well I hope it came out like that because inside my heart was beating real hard and my stomach fluttered and churned in every way possible). I looked up at him, feeling quite vulnerable. As he placed his hand on my shoulder I shrugged him off.

“Emma, are…” he trailed off, gulping down. He appeared to be hurt. “Are you afraid of me?”

I was inching backwards but stopped when he said that. “N-no not really,” I stuttered. Great! That really displays what I meant. I turned away from him, unable to keep contact. I knew this would happen if I saw him again.

“Then why are you being like this?” When I plucked up the courage to gaze directly at him again I saw that his eyes were glassy, tears threatening to escape them. I noticed that the distance between us decreased. The smell he gave off was so…enticing, so familiar. A lump caught in my throat as memories of good times with him played in my head.

“B-because y-you cheated on me,” I stumbled over my words, aware of how close we were as our breaths mixed in the air and he continued to advance towards me.

“Please Emma, listen to me. Don’t believe Ignacia. It’s actually not how it seemed.” His bottom lip quivered and I had the urge to believe him. He sounded too genuine. “I can explain.”

His breath lightly touched my right cheek, causing it to tingle slightly. He used his right hand to remove the strand of hair that escaped from behind my ear. I couldn’t speak and I was frozen under his stare. His thumb gently stroked my cheek and a shiver ran down my spine. I was actually enjoying it.

“I love you, Emma,” he whispered before closing his eyes as he lean forward, lowering his face. I found myself doing the same, mirroring his action since I too closed my eyes. His lips touched mine; it was so soft and nice. Our lips moved in sync and his hand located my waist, pulling me urgently towards him. I was enjoying the moment and stopped thinking for a second until I realised all this was wrong. I frowned and pulled away, gasping for air. What had I just done?

“I can’t do this.” My breathing was heavy.

“What’s wrong?” He raised an eyebrow, quite upset.

“I have a boyfriend! His name is Liam,” I shouted before I turned around and ran. Tears escaped my eyes and I couldn’t be bothered to wipe them away. I could hear Diego chasing after me, calling my name at first but then it stopped. I glanced over my shoulder to see that he gave up and was no longer following me. I continued to run anyway, soon coming to the gates of the park. Just as I exited the park, I saw that Ignacia was walking through, a grey hoody covering most of her face and her hands were stuffed in her jeans pockets.

Ignacia and I ignored each other completely as we passed each other and I ran all the way to the book shop again.