Chapter Eighteen

Chapter Eighteen

I banged my fists against the red door impatiently. I know his parents don’t deserve this but I was so angry with what he did. I needed to find out if she was telling the truth. A small part of me didn’t want to believe it.

“Hey, calm down Emma. You’re gonna hurt yourself.” Louis’s soothing voice said from behind me. I didn’t listen to him and continued to bang at the door. My hands were aching by then.

Moments later, the door slowly opened and Diego’s father appeared at the door. He was frowning before he saw me but flashed a smile straight away once he recognised me.

“Emma, darling, we haven’t seen you in ages. But isn’t it a little late in the night?” He questioned, his grey moustache moving up and down as he spoke. His voice was soft, it always had been. He obviously didn’t know what happen between Diego and me.

“Uh, yeah, sorry about that but can I please see Diego?” I softened my voice so he had no clue that I was angry.

“Yeah sure, just head to his room,” he directed. I thanked him and was about to enter the house when a hand grabbed onto my arm and pulled me back. It was Louis.

“You’re not going in there.” He turned to Diego’s father. “Sir, will you tell him to come down here?”

His father seemed stumped and clueless. He furrowed his eyebrows with discomfort and gulped. “Yeah sure, I’ll go call him now.”

“Thanks.”

We waited for a few minutes, me tapping my shoe against the gravel constantly. Then suddenly a figure appeared out of the door.

“Emma.” He stepped towards me, his voice rather harmonious with his arms stretched out. “I’ve missed you!”  He wrapped his arm around me as I was too slow to side step out of my way. I stood there awkwardly, feeling the heat radiating from his body. And oh God, he smelt so good.

“Mind letting her go now?” Louis muttered, boredom reflected through his tone. He grinded his teeth together as though it was a way to prevent himself from attacking Diego.

 “What?” He backed away from me, frowning slightly. He hadn’t noticed Louis was standing right behind me. “Who’s he?”

“Did you drug Ignacia?” I ignored his question.  

“No, Emma babe, listened to me.” He stepped towards me but Louis intervened and pulled me behind him.

“Don’t you dare touch her!” Louis ordered, speaking for the first time. He was breathing heavily and speaking through gritted teeth. “And don’t call her babe!” I smiled at the way he defended me. Where would I ever find boys like him? He’s just too sweet.

“Move out the way, dude! I’m trying to talk to her!” Diego attempted to push Louis out the way but nothing really happen. Louis remained on the spot.

“Just answer the question!” I screamed from behind Louis, losing my patience.

“It’s not like that. The drink was for you and ––” He was cut off when I barged passed Louis and slapped Diego in the face. Diego’s hand instantly shot up to rub the spot on his face.

“So you tried to drug me?” I shouted, really angry now. I could barely take the fact that he drugged my sister but him trying to drug me was an all time low.

“I was drunk and ––” He was cut off again but by Louis this time.

I felt Louis pushed me aside. “You idiot! You tried to do what?” He didn’t give Diego time to answer as he punched him in the face, doing this several more times.

“Louis, Louis, stop!” I said to him, trying to hold his arm. He wouldn’t listen. He smashed Diego’s face even further until…until I let out a yelp of cry. Tears streamed down my face. All this was too hard to take in. Everything I had done to Ignacia was for nothing because all along she had done nothing to me. I hate Diego so much!

Louis finally stopped. “C’mon Emma, let’s get you home,” he said breathlessly, his expression resembling one of a mad man. He directed me away from the house but I glanced back to see Diego lying on the floor with blood seeping out of his mouth. My stomach fluttered, I felt so bad. We couldn’t just leave him lying there. I glanced at Louis hand and it was too covered in blood, Diego’s blood.

“We gotta help him out, Louis.” My lips quivered. Tears threatened the tip of my eyes again and I suddenly felt like puking.

“Emma, we can’t. His parents will call the police on us. Let’s just get out of here.” His speed increased, causing me to accelerate. I was too weak to resist his pushing force.

“You didn’t have to do this,” I whispered as we made our way home. My insides were shaking.

When we got home, I went straight to Ignacia’s room to have a chat with her, ignoring Mum’s call for me. I needed to apologise to her. I needed her to know that none of this was her fault but when I entered her room I saw that Ignacia was fast asleep. Harry had fallen asleep next to her with his arm over her stomach, pulling her tightly towards him. I smiled, wiping my tears away. It was sweet. Liam was also there, his head resting on her leg, soundly sleeping the tire away. I woke Liam up after watching him sleep for a while and sent him home with Louis to have a good night’s rest. Harry stayed the night, holding onto Ignacia for dear life because whatever we tried we couldn’t wake him up. In the end we just left it. I decided then that I would have the chat with her after picking up Dad or the earliest time possible because tomorrow Dad is coming home. I needed to let her know I am here for her but this something I have to do while we are alone.