Epilogue

Epilogue

Three years later

I struggled to shut the door, three heavy pizza boxes in one hand and change on the other, as the uniformed man walked away. Eventually I managed to close the door after the moans seeping from the living room filtered into the corridor, causing me to use my hip to shut it with annoyance. Those boys really do anger me sometimes, so impatient.  

“I’m coming, okay?” I screamed and began to trudge back to the living room. As expected, everyone was in the same position I had left them in: Harry lying on the floor as usual next to Fausto, Louis, Freya and Liam sat on the sofa, a space left in between Freya and Liam where I previously sat. Zayn sat on a chair near the table with Niall, Aunty Tianna and her husband next to him too.

“Dad, Pizza!” Fausto shouted, licking his lips and followed the boxes as I lowered them onto the table. Dad walked into the room with a tray of orange juices and coca colas. Everyone jumped towards the pizzas while Liam held back. I sent him a warm smile, settling down next to him.

“I’ll go get some plates,” Harry offered excitedly. His face was already covered in red tomato sauce. He raced out of the living room, into the kitchen.

“Hey guys, make sure you don’t mess the invitations up. Keep the food clear of them, yeah?” Liam ordered with authority. Liam took a hold of my hand, playing with the ring on my finger. I smiled at him, we were finally doing it. I gazed into his eyes and he leaned forward for a kiss and I replicated his actions. As our lips touched the door bell rang.

“I’ll get it,” I grunted. I mean, I doubt anyone else is bothered.

“It’s probably the organiser or someone,” Niall suggested. “By the way, Afsana and Eleanor are coming in a few days. They’re really excited and they’re packed.” Once again, we could always rely on Niall to tell us the latest on news back in England.

I trudged over to the door, barely lifting my feet off the ground. I opened the door, expecting the organiser as Niall had suggested yet I was completely thrown off by who I perceived. My mouth hung wide open as a woman with long brown hair turned to me, her features resembling none other than my sister Ignacia. Her mouth curled up into a small innocent smile. Her skin was glowing, clearer yet older than I remember. She appeared to have gained weight, yet not too much and what she wore was more sophisticated than what my memory held with a deep blue, short sleeved loose top and a long, fitted red skirt down to her knees. A baby wrapped in white cotton snugly slept in her arms.

“Hi,” she spoke finally with confidence.

“Hi,” I replied more sheepishly.

“This is Ruben.” She pointed to a young man with straight blonde hair, green eyes and a strong jaw who I noticed for the first time. He was quite handsome. He nodded at me politely. I returned a smile, swallowing my spit hard. My insides were shaking. What was I meant to do?

“Err… can we come in?” She asked, pushing the sheet away from the babies face.

“Yeah sure.” I moved aside to allow them in. “Everyone’s in the living room.”

“Great, thanks.” I stared after her as she confidently strolled into the living room, followed by the Ruben guy. I heard a series of gasps and shrieks of joy before I snapped out of it and finally shut the door, heading into the living room too. Everyone stood surrounding Ignacia, who was sat on the sofa next to Ruben, gazing at her. Moments later, we heard a loud shatter by the door and we all turned to face a gobsmacked Harry frozen to the spot with broken pieces of plates all around him.

“Harry,” Ignacia chirped, handing the baby over to Ruben gently, and stood up. Before she could head over to Harry, Dad tackled her into a tight embrace. His face was red, tears streaming down.