Chapter 14- Back Behind Bars

Being arrested has never been a pleasant experience for me.

We were driven back to the station in police cars with those ridiculously obnoxious sirens, and the brilliant officers thought it would be a smart idea to handcuff us together.

Idiots.

"Conner! Stop nudging me!" I complained as his shoulder bumped into mine.

"Sorry! It's not my fault that the back of this car is freaking puny! Ow! Quit pushing me!"

"That's it, this is crazy! Officers? Can't he ride back in the other car?"

"Was handcuffing us together really necessary? My wrists are chaffing." He frowned, rubbing his wrists. I rolled my eyes, slapping the back of his head. "Ow!"

"I demand that you uncuff me from this idiot!"

"Hey!"

The cops in the front of the car exchanged glances, not responding.

As the car turned right, Conner lurched into me, squishing me into the window. "Conner! Get off of me, you fatty!"

"You didn't seem to mind me being on top of you last night."

I reached over to slap the back of his head again. "Ouch! Would you stop that?"

I tried to squirm away from him, but my side was still pressed flush against him, which under different circumstances I probably wouldn't have minded. "You are popping my personal space bubble right now!"

"You-"

"One more sex joke, and I will make certain that you can't ever have kids."

"But I thought you wanted kids?"

"ARRRGGG!!!!"

We were inturupted when the two officers in the front of the car starting to laugh. Conner and I momentarily stopped arguing and exchanged confused looks. Quite frankly, I didn't see how arresting us was supposed to be a laugh.

"You two, are Conner and Selena?" The cop number one who riding shotgun asked, still smiling.

"Yesss." Conner answered uncertainly. "Why?"

The cop number two shook his head and started to laugh again as he drove. Cop number one looked back at us to respond.

"It's just that, you two have quite a reputation back at the station. When we came to pick you guys up, we were expecting hardcore criminals. Not two regular teenagers with relationship problems."

In case you were wondering, yes, we had been arrested before. Nothing too serious of course, no robbing banks or killing people. Just a couple of trespassing (spending the night camping in a zoo), vandalism (breaking an elevator at a mall, who knew they weren't water proof? Note to self- no more water gun fights at the mall), and public disturbance charges (singing loudly in the sprinklers the first couple of times).

We had been going in and out of this jail pretty much since we could walk. The head detective was a good friend, and didn't put anything on our records.

"Sorry to disappoint." I crossed my arms as we pulled into the station.

When we were walked inside, still handcuffed together, we saw Dave almost immediately. His short blond hair had started to go grey a couple years back, along with his blond mustache. He was huge, easily taller than Conner, with dark spy glasses and an even darker suit.

"Dave!" Conner and I ran to give him a hug.

The police station was quiet, since it was almost 11 pm. Half a dozen cops were still working at their desks, and there was only one hardly dressed woman (probably a hooker) being lead to the holding cells.

"Well if it isn't my two favorite criminals! And to think that I thought you guys would stop getting into trouble. I haven't seen you two in months!"

Conner grinned. "New record, huh?" Dave ruffled his hair.

"Well come one guys, we better get you two down to interrogation. Again." He steered us past the half a dozen staring policemen, down the hall to the interrogation room.

The room was as grey and prison like as ever, only occupied by steel chairs that were cemented to the ground, and a long metal table. Conner and I took a seat on one side, facing the inconspicuous one sided mirror as standard procedure. We knew that on the other side of the mirror, all of the curious cops were probably watching us to see if we would leap across the table and attack Dave.

"So guys," Dave rested his chin in his hands. "what did you do this time?"

"We snuck into a country club and raced golf carts." I said bluntly. We knew better than to lie to the cops, especially Dave.

"So just trespassing?" He sounded slightly surprised.

"We also might have crashed one." Conner gave me a pointed look.

"Trespassing and destruction of property." Dave said to himself, nodding. "Okay then. As far as I know, the club has decided not to press charges, as long as you volunteer as life guards for their pool to pay off the damages."

"Life guarding!?" 24 hours of community service was one thing, but spending weekends saving drowning children seemed much harsher. I valued my weekends.

He shrugged. "It's that, or juvie."

"You know, on second thought life guarding sounds pretty fun." Conner gave him a forced smile.

"Ugh." I groaned. "My mom's gonna kill us if she finds out."

"Darn it. We're already grounded too." Conner sighed. "Any chance we can not tell her?"

Dave laughed. "If you behave. I'm talking six months before you're hauled back in." He gave us both stern looks.

"Don't look at me. These things are always Conner's ideas." I defended myself.

"What! That's not true!" He crossed his arms stubbornly.

"Who's idea was it to break into the golf course again?" I asked.

"Well I wasn't the one who crashed a vehicle going 5 miles per hour over an empty field!" Conner countered, giving me a playful pout.

"Great." Dave stood up. "Now you two go wait in the holding cells while I process your paper work."

He opened the door for us, and we slipped back into the dimly lit hallway.

He didn't even walk us down to the cells, we'd been here so often. Conner and I walked into our usual cell, one in the very front so we could leave quickly. A couple of drunks and gang member were lying in cells nearby, mostly asleep. Except of course, their cells were locked.

We sat on the wooden bench together, and I suddenly felt tired. After all, it was a school day, and calculus almost always made me exhausted.

I rested my head on Conner's shoulder, and he wrapped an arm around my waist. "Is someone tired?" He teased me.

"Shut up." I mumbled, too sleepy to come up with a better response.

I heard him chuckle, before he leaned over to give me a quick kiss on the lips. The feel of his lips automatically jolted me awake, all traces of tiredness temporarily dissolved. He was like a life time supply of caffeine with legs.

I sat up to straddle his lap on the bench, wrapping my arms tight around his neck. My fingers tugged at his hair, and I felt him gasp slightly against my lips.

His hands were rested on my waist, and I knew he wouldn't dare move them, or I would get uncontrollably antsy. And we were making out in a jail cell with other people nearby.

I smiled against his lips at how considerate he was being, even though I knew he was probably dying to move his hands.

"Hey guys? You should probably know that we can see you."

My head snapped towards the familiar voice, until I saw two blonds facing us from their cell next door.

Tom and Jerry were watching us, Tom's eyes wide and his mouth dropped. It was Jerry who had spoken, and he looked completely unfazed to find us making out in a police station.

"Hey guys." I jumped off of Conner's lap, smoothing down my clothes with my hands.

Tom stared at us. "What-? Are you two-? I don't-"

Jerry rolled his eyes at his brother. "Well obviously, they're either secretly dating, or they're sex buddies."

Conner and I didn't respond.

"Well that answers that question. Cool, I've always wanted a no strings attached sort of thing. It's just hard to find a girl that will actually agree to it though."

I gave him a disguisted look. "Gross."

He shrugged. Tom finally closed his mouth, his mouth pressed into a line as he thought hard. "So you two are really..?"

Conner nodded slightly.

"You guys can't tell anyone though!" I pleaded.

"What's in it for us?" Jerry raised an eyebrow. Tom glared at his brother, elbowing him in the side. It wasn't hard to see which brother was civil between the two.

"How about me, not crushing in your faces?" Conner stood up from the bench, glaring at Jerry.

Jerry took a step back, raising his arms in defeat. "Fine then. Our lips our sealed. Please leave our faces as is."

Tom snorted. "Speak for yourself, I was already not going to tell."

"So why are you guys here anyway?" I asked, changing the subject.

Tom sighed. "We got hauled in for fighting at Walmart." He gave his brother a pointedly annoyed look.

Jerry shrugged, not looking the least bit regretful. "What? He was asking for it. He stole the last container of red bull."

Tom sighed, wiping a hand over his face before he turned back to us. "What about you guys? They didn't even lock your cell!"

"Ummm." Conner glanced at me. "We're kind of regulars here. Tonight though, we broke into a country club and had a golf cart race. We probably wouldn't have even gotten caught if somebody had just used the breaks, like a normal person."

I glared at him. "I was a tad focused on not dying at the time."

"Really." Jerry smirked. "Selena and Conner, criminals of the law. Never would have seen that coming. Respect man." He reached out to give Conner a fist bump. I rolled my eyes. Guys.

A second later, the front door swung open and Dave walked in. "Okay guys, you're free to go. Show up for work at the club, this Saturday at 10 am. And remember, I don't want to see your face for at least six months. Got it?"

I smiled at him as we walked out of our cell. "Thanks Dave. " I turned back to Tom and Jerry, giving them a half smile. "See you at school, I guess."

And hand in hand, Conner and I walked out of the police station and rushed back home.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

By the time we had plopped down on his bed, we were still sweaty from our run back to Conner's car.

I groaned, pulling out my phone to text my mom where I was. Then, I got up and ran to the bathroom to get all of the sticky sweat off of my skin.

I let the cool water from the shower wash all of the dirt and sweat off, and let it run over my tired leg muscles and through my messy hair. I was so tired from our three mile run, even though I had made Conner carry me on his back half the way. I barely even realized that Conner had joined me, until he had leaned over to place a light kiss on my shoulder.

When we got out, I changed into a new pair of underwear and a bra from Conner's closet, before pulling one of his over-sized T-shirts over me.

Conner had already finished changing into a pair of pajama pants, and was watching me apreciatively from where he was laying on his bed. "Have I ever mentioned how good you look in my shirts?"

I rolled my eyes, crawling under the covers of his bed beside him. He used an arm to pull me close to him, letting me snuggle up against him. I sighed contently, my head resting on his bare chest, my ear listening to the sound of his stead heartbeat.

For a second I swear I heard his heart rate pick up, before I fell into a deep sleep.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Soooooo? What did you think? Personally, I would totally love to get arrested for doing something crazy, if I didn't get into trouble for it of course.

And yeah, I know I haven't mentioned the whole Travis situation since last chapter, but it's coming up soon! I promise!

Maannnnn, Jerry is seriously badass! Poor Tom.

Questions? Comments? Advice? (Please!?)