Chapter 44- Fated

Fate has a funny way of changing everything.

And when I say funny, I mean funny in the ironic, some supernatural force is out to get me -kinda way.

I mean, I should've seen this coming, right? I've seen the movies, I know how these sort of situations play out. And I've witnessed such suspenseful moments be resolved, after the main character comes up with some quick and undeniably risky move and saves the day against all odds. The end.

So why is it, that I'm positively frozen right now?

Why can't I be that brave hero in action movies? What's stopping me from forming a brilliant plan to save the day against all odds?

Well, in short- Reality.

Because in reality, the very fear of the slightest possibility that this person- or man in my case- could end a life at any chosen moment, was a stab in the gut all on its own.

So, back to being helpless and scared out of my wits.

I didn't know it was possible to be even more terrified than I was ten seconds ago.

But once again, the world just loved proving me wrong.

My hands started to violently tremble at the sight of the man standing in front of my only escape route. The sight of the gleaming blade at his side, as well as the sadistic smile on his face, made me want to curl up and cry.

It couldn't get more horrifying if a masked man wielding a chain saw burst through the door to join the party.

"W-who are you?" It took my a few moments to realize that I had started speaking. Honestly, I was surprised that I could even speak at all.

The man didn't respond, only smiled in amusement and stepped closer. He leisurely took step after step towards us, expertly twirling his knife between his fingers. He fit the stereotypical serial killer motif, to the letter.

As he approached, I was startled to see how young he looked. He couldn't be that much older than I was, with well groomed dark hair and chiseled features. All in all, he looked to be an ordinary guy in his 20's.

Only the cold and calculated look in his eyes suggested that he was anything but ordinary.

"Oh Selena." He tutted, shaking his head like he was reprimanding a small child. "Or is it Lena? Which do you prefer?"

My mind started racing alongside my heart. Not only did he know my name, but he knew my partying alias.

Which was odd, seeing as I had only been Lena for about 6 hours.

"Oh right." He stopped right in front of where I was with Alex, crouching down to my level to grin maniacally at me. "I don't care."

He stood back up, not waiting for a response. He watched me some more, playing with the razor sharp blade in his hand with disinterest.

I stole a glance back at Alex, who hadn't moved a muscle since I had found her.

Now, how was I going to get myself out of this one....

"Well then." Mystery psychopathic man went on. "Initially, I was only going to deal with little miss Alexandra here, but I suppose ridding the world of yet another whore couldn't hurt."

His smirk transformed into a unstable looking Cheshire cat grin. "It's just a shame you don't even remember me."

That certainly gave me a jolt

Did he mean.... Was he saying that I had already met him?

My mind immediately raced to place his face to a memory, desperate to obtain any sort of clarity on the situation.

But how does one simply recall a nameless person from among dozens of forgotten nameless people?

Think Selena, use that big head of yours.

Well let's see..... For starters, he called us Alexandra and Lena. But how would he know about our one night debut as club entertainers? Unless....

Man I'm an idiot.

He must have been at the club that night!

Jesus, I can't believe I didn't figure that out sooner.

I tried to recall all the occupants in the club that night. But 99% of them had been completely intoxicated out of their minds. There was no way they would have been the capacity to remember who we were, let alone be able to track Alex down.

Then, I remembered what Alex had told me that night, while we were sitting at the bar.

'Selli, you'll thank me later. You do not want the people in this club knowing your real name outside of these walls. It's best to keep your clubbing life, and your real life separate.'

My head snapped up as a name suddenly clicked to a face. There was only one person in the entire club that night, who had met us both and hadn't been as drunk as a sailor.

Aaron.

I vaguely recalled the cheeky young bartender from the club, whom Alex had seemed familiar, and quite fond with. But it simply didn't make any sense- there were several other people present in the club that night that I would have guessed to be psychopaths before Aaron, the cute and friendly bartender.

At the time, he had seemed entirely insignificant. Just a single person in a crowded room full of other, much more noticeable people. It was hard to believe that the same playful eyed man from that night was the same crazy eyed killer standing before us.

I hadn't realized that I had even voiced my thoughts aloud, until I witnessed his smirk widen further.

"Ah, so you do remember me!" He said with fake cheeriness. "What a relief! I was afraid you wouldn't even recognize who had killed you."

That made me feel tons better.

He clapped his hands together, the hilt of his weapon held between his palms. "Splendid! Now where was I?" His head tilted as if he were deep in thought, and it was obvious that he was both mocking me and bathing in his own success. If I hadn't been about to pee myself, I probably would have felt offended. "Oh yes! This is the part where I kill you!"

And with that, he stepped forward with the gleaming metal gripped in one hand. It took me a moment to process his words.

"W-wait!" I managed to choke out, feeling nothing but fear and desperation, and in return hearing nothing but that in my voice.

And to my surprise, he halted, a curiously amused look plastered on his expression.

"I-isn't this the part where you take the time to spill out your evil plan?"

It was a rather desperate move, I'll admit.

But nonetheless, I went on hurriedly, nearly tripping over my own tongue in the process. "It's like an unspoken super villain law or something! You can't just leave us wondering what we did that resulted in our- o-our.... Don't you want us to know why you're-y-you're-"

He held up his free hand to stop my stuttering mess of an excuse. But to my short lived relief, he smiled and shrugged his shoulders.

"Yes, I suppose I didn't set up this elaborate plan just to flash you my handsome smile and be on my way." He looked over me thoughtfully, the flat of his blade lightly resting against his lips.

"I want you to feel remorse for your actions when you die."

He turned back around and began to slowly pace in front of me, still toying with his weapon like it was just a pen, and not a gleaming knife that could easily amputate his fingers if he slipped up.

I released the breath I hadn't realized I'd been holding.

I subtly scooted back on my butt and carefully pulled Alex's unconscious head onto my lap, keeping one eye on Aaron at all times. If he saw me move towards her, he didn't show a signs of it. I held back my sigh of relief when I felt her shallow breath against my hand.

Thank God.

I rested my arms protectively around my broken, fragile friend, and waited with baited breath for our captor to continue. As much as I hated to admit it, he was calling the shots. For now, anyways.

I had bought us some time. But I knew in my gut that the final hour was approaching.

And fast.

-----
----------
-----
--------------------
-----
----------
-----

Gasp!

Sorry for the delay, my Ipod- excuse my french- is shitty.

PS. I'm still accepting covers!

Special thanks to Kaur92, for the lovely art attached to this chapter! And a more gratitude to iGOTenchanted, for the incredible new book cover! :) Thanks, you guys are sick!

Are any of you surprised to find out who it was?

Tell me what you think!