Best-Friends With Benefits

**************

Once upon a time, (because that's how all good stories should start), there lived a young girl and her faithful best friend.

From the moment they were born, they were inseparable from one another. They grew up living on the very same street, their parents already being close friends from having attended the same college.

Now, most people found it odd that the two shared such a close bond, even though they were of opposite genders. Hell, most of the time people had assumed that they were either related or getting married. But despite what everyone else thought, the two did everything together and remained strictly just friends over the years.

Who are we kidding? Of course, that didn't last.

Because then, puberty kicked.

And of course, with puberty comes hormones. And everything is always more complicated when hormones are involved, (fact scientifically proven by experts).

And when they turned thirteen, everything changed.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Okay Selena! Your turn! Truth, or dare?"

Conner and I were sitting with a bunch of people from our school at a party. Since we were all only in middle school, the party was naturally pretty lame.

Empty plastic cups were scattered across the living room (previously filled with orange fanta, thank you very much), and half-eaten bags of chips were spilled across the carpet. The radio was playing loudly from the kitchen, and a scattered group of people were dancing idiotically around the table, everyone specifically staying away from anyone of the opposite gender. Because god forbid a girl was caught dancing with a boy, she would be permanently labeled as a slut by morning.

That's middle school for you.

Currently, Conner and I were currently participating in one of the dullest games of truth or dare ever. It pretty much consisted of "I dare you to eat" fill in-the-blank.

I turned to the girl who had just asked the next question to me, and scarcely recognized her from being in my English class. "Dare." 

She grinned at me with a mouth full of braces, as if she had just thought of the craziest idea in the world. I resisted the urge to roll my eyes as she started to giggle at me, vaguely resembling a monkey on drugs.

"I dare you to go into the closet and kiss someone!"

My mouth physically dropped open. No one had ever made a dare like this at middle school parties. We were barely past the whole 'kissing is gross' stage of life.

Then, she shocked me even more.

"Kiss Conner!"

My eyes widened as I turned my head to look at my best friend since birth, with whom I was currently leaning against, my hands casually interlocked with his between us. His green eyes were almost as wide as mine, and a shock of dark hair was adorably ruffled on top of his head. And though even I had to admit that he was really cute, there was no way I could kiss him. It would be like kissing my brother!

"No way!" I answered at the same time as he exclaimed, "Not gonna happen!" I quickly pulled my fingers away from his and hid my hands in my lap, blushing fiercely.

The girl did her best pouty face, which kind of reminded me of a beached whale lying lethargically on the shore. "You have to. That's the dare." She stated as if it was the most obvious thing.

Such logic.

Conner scoffed. "So what? I'm not going to kiss my best friend." I nodded in agreement, pulling a slightly disgusted look onto my face.