Chapter 47- The Rescue Mission

My life, as it turns out, is one unrelated obstacle after the next.

I mean, in all seriousness I couldn't think of anyone with as much rotten luck as me.

It seemed like as soon as one problem was resolved, I barely had time to blink before the next impending doom was knocking on my doorstep. Well, more like barging in through the walls with a monster truck.

I could barely remember all the other teenage crises I had undergone this year, because there were just too damn many.

But while I attempted to comfort Conner, and possibly myself, snuggling close against his chest all the while paying close caution to his broken collar bone, I looked up into two eyes of green and realized something important.

Every coincidence, every mistake, every little mishap of bad luck that I would curse about under my breath for days, had lead me directly to this moment. 

If that one girl from that fateful middle school party hadn't shown up that night, if she had suddenly gone ill or decided to study for a test instead, then she never would have dared me to kiss Conner in an embarrassingly immature game of truth or dare. 

If Conner and I had never kissed, we would have never become best friends with benefits, and I would never have accidentally gotten pregnant and eventually go on to have a miscarriage.

And if I hadn't had that miscarriage, as much as it breaks my heart thinking about it, I would have never ended up in the hospital the night that Conner confessed his love to me.

And without a doubt, I would have never realized my true feelings towards him either.

If that had never happened, then I would not have gotten mad at Conner in such a manner that Alex and Jerry would feel obligated to drag me to that god forsaken night club, and we wouldn't be in this mess right now.

So in conclusion, my life is pretty much a soap opera with teenagers.

But taking in the sight of Conner's eyes scouring my face to make sure that I was okay, selflessly to the point of being ridiculous, I realized that I wouldn't have changed it anyways.

"How are we gonna get out of this one, Con?" I finally rose up the courage to ask.

He looked down at me for the first time in my life, with hopeless uncertainty. The type of expression that people had before they finaly gave up. I shivered. "I don't know, S."

"Hey! Love birds! What did I tell you about keeping your mouths shut?" Mike scowled. 

I opened my mouth to speak, most likely a sarcastic and entirely impulsive comeback that I would right after regret, but as soon as my lips parted a fiery burst of pain exploded in my jaw. 

My mouth slammed shut, and my ears began to ring as wave after wave of relentless agony flooded over me. No doubt the adrenaline of nearly dying had worn off, and the pain was returning at full force.

Conner, of course, noticed the sudden change. The concern in his eyes quickly morphed into downright panic. "Selena? Are you all right?"

I nodded slightly, knowing better than to try speaking. Tears were burned in the brim of my eyes, so with my face turned towards the ground, I slowly scooted myself away from Conner. The last thing he needed was  a helpless crying girlfriend to deal with.

I could practically hear the frown on his face as I distanced myself from him. "Ummmm, what are you doing?"

"Noth-" A hot sear of pain reminded me that I couldn't speak. Nice going, idiot. I shook my head instead and pretended to be survey our surroundings, as if I was actually capable of planning an ingenious escape. 

Mike caught my eyes and then rolled his, having no trouble realizing what was transpiring. But thankfully, he kept his mouth shut.

"Stubborn-ass teenagers."